Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taproom beer-naming question

Quick question PB,
    One of our brewery’s owners wants to name a beer (which we will only sell on our taproom) a particular name which is already in use by another Brewery. Despite attempts to come up with something unique, this owner is firm on the use.(smh) If this similarly named beer is out of state and not being distributed outside of their local area, what kind of hornets nest are we stirring up, by moving forward? Thanks!

Owners, right? Well, given that you and the brewery whose IP you're infringing are not selling the beer in the same market, you're probably fine. Someone would have to come to your brewery and see that you're using the same name, then care enough to say something. It comes down to how much the other brewery cares about its trademark (if it has one) and how litigious they are. So don't go making a label, or a bunch of merch with the name on it. At worst, you'll get a C&D letter and have to rename it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GinoG View Post
      Quick question PB,
      One of our brewery’s owners wants to name a beer (which we will only sell on our taproom) a particular name which is already in use by another Brewery. Despite attempts to come up with something unique, this owner is firm on the use.(smh) If this similarly named beer is out of state and not being distributed outside of their local area, what kind of hornets nest are we stirring up, by moving forward? Thanks!
      Why, oh why, would the owner want to intentially use an existing beer name and open up the business to legal hassles? Isn’t the business challenging enough?
      Years ago, I was making a smoked ale just for my tap room. The name included the name of a well know patron saint of brewers. A brewery across the country from me, already using that name, contacted me with a cease and desist, which I honored. The point is just because it’s only for your tap room does not mean you are not infringing on their trademark.
      Change the name. Get creative. Engage your customers to come up with a new name, turn it into a promotion.
      Otherwise this seems unnecessarily reckless.
      My two cents.
      Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

And what say do you have?

The ones who want this name own the brewery? You're on record as opposed? You're a paid employee? Then you've done your job and don't need to worry. Move on to more pressing issues. It's not such a big deal. And it's not your problem.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Common law trademarks

Merely using a name for a beer does create common law trademark rights. Common law rights are limited geographically to the area of use, and a reasonable zone of expansion.

Here, assuming the other party does not distribute in your territory, it may be the case that their rights would not be infringed by your use.

That said, if the other party owns a federal trademark registration, their rights would be throughout the US, and your use would likely be infringing. Also, the other party may complain or threaten you with action if you proceed with the name, but that depends on the other party's litigiousness.
          Dan Christopherson
          Christopherson Brew Law
          Littleton, CO 80128
          (720) 515-8773
          dan@brew.law
          brew.law

Comment

I would recommend that you call the other brewery and make a gentleman's agreement on this. Having been on the other end of this same situation, I would have been much happier having someone asking for permission than asking for forgiveness.

Comment

Working...
            X