Music in the taproom - options and costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music in the taproom - options and costs

I'm in the early construction phase of new brewery and taproom. Need recommendations on how to handle the music - have heard stories of people who have not realized the record companies (Ascap, BMI, etc.) will want a very expensive annual contract from you to play music during public hours only to be surprised at lawsuits filed against them after they've been playing music or hosting live entertainment. Some guys are using Pandora, the subscription is supposed to cover these fees for a lot less $$s. Any advice?

Pay the ambulance chasers so you donÂ’t have to worry/think about it again....just my $0.02!

In my experience they will just harass you until you buy the licenses anyhow. Even if you are well within your bounds.

Comment

We use pandora, and it's been great. It's all Licensed music and very easy to use and change your favorite stations etc. It'd be awesome if we had enough room for live music, but we don't, so this is the only thing we use. We even split off the feed to play the same music outside, even for big lot parties!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Search and you'll find a multi-page thread on this subject.

We had to pay up at the tune of several thousand dollars a year. We use Pandora for the pub music, but we also host live music. If a band plays a single cover song, you have to pay. And pay.

As$hat and BM play mean and dirty. A local venue hosted a singer/songwriter night every month. The idea was that they could avoid paying as all songs would be original. One night, a customer kept requesting a cover song. Turned out he was a plant for the music mafia, and that venue had to pay up, too.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
          Search and you'll find a multi-page thread on this subject.

We had to pay up at the tune of several thousand dollars a year. We use Pandora for the pub music, but we also host live music. If a band plays a single cover song, you have to pay. And pay.

As$hat and BM play mean and dirty. A local venue hosted a singer/songwriter night every month. The idea was that they could avoid paying as all songs would be original. One night, a customer kept requesting a cover song. Turned out he was a plant for the music mafia, and that venue had to pay up, too.

Many thanks - I've heard about these plants, kinda low..

Comment

Originally posted by JR2018 View Post
            Many thanks - I've heard about these plants, kinda low..
            Not "kinda low," real low, in my opinion.
            To me this is right along the lines of cops posing as prostitutes and drug dealers. Doesn't anyone notice that these guys are acting as criminals to start with? Watched TV show where the lady cop was posing as a prostitute. The prospective John wouldn't ask for anything or offer money. So, the cop lady offered this and that at this much. Doesn't that make her a real prostitute, thereby breaking the law? But, no, they arrested the guy when he did agree to her offered prices and services. Certainly looks like entrapment to me. Same with these music "plants." That musician would have never played that song unless someone had kept requesting it.

Comment

We utilize XMradio for Business. Our monthly fee to them covers the copyright management companies.

This issue does seem to draw deep emotions, however keep in mind when you have a cover band playing or similar mechanical (e.g. radio, CD’s, iTunes) music playing, you are using someone’s copyrighted works. It infringement, pure and simple. What would you do, as a business owner, if you found out a store in the next town was selling t-shirts with your brewery’s logo on it? I’m guessing you’d lawyer up pretty quick.
              I certainly do not like or indorse the tactics these companies employ nor do I like paying their fees, but I understand the need to protect the copyrights.
              -End rant

Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
                What would you do, as a business owner, if you found out a store in the next town was selling t-shirts with your breweryÂ’s logo on it? IÂ’m guessing youÂ’d lawyer up pretty quick.
                I certainly do not like or indorse the tactics these companies employ nor do I like paying their fees, but I understand the need to protect the copyrights.
                It'd be more like ABI owning the rights to your beer, or anything that tastes like your beer; and charging bars for the right to pour your beer. Even if the bar doesn't pour your beer, but theoretically could because they have taps and fridge. /s

What is unfortunate is that the small, struggling musician gets the shaft. We stopped hosting live music because I choose not to afford the licensing fees.

Comment

Working...
                X