IPA help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPA help

So mostly what I brew at my brewery is Stouts and maltier beers. I want to brew an IPA using Michigan copper hops & Cascade hops to showcase the hops over the malt. The last couple times I brewed this beer it is getting hit for being to malty and sweet. I really want the hops to pop. Any tips on making this a big flavor bomb of hops?

Basically this is my grain bill
    2 row
    Red winter wheat
    Crystal 60

sound like your not attenuating enought. try using a higher attenuating yeast. i would also get rid of the wheat with a light color munich malt.

Comment

Originally posted by Abrowne0001 View Post
      So mostly what I brew at my brewery is Stouts and maltier beers. I want to brew an IPA using Michigan copper hops & Cascade hops to showcase the hops over the malt. The last couple times I brewed this beer it is getting hit for being to malty and sweet. I really want the hops to pop. Any tips on making this a big flavor bomb of hops?

Basically this is my grain bill
      2 row
      Red winter wheat
      Crystal 60
      Remove Crystal 60. Use a low lovibond malt like Vienna to make up maybe 10% of Grist.
      Shoot for OG of 1.065
      Add copper hops for 90 min boil at a calculated 40 IBU.
      Add another calculated 40 IBU at 15 min before end of boil.
      Add anothed calculated 40 IBU at whirlpool for 20 min steep.
      Ferment with 1056 or equivalent at 65F
      Drop temp to 60F when fermentation is finished.
      Pull yeast. Add same amount of dry hops as you did for whirlpool hops.
      Let sit for 48-72 hrs.
      Drop temp to 40 F
      Pull hops and start fining.
      Drop to 32 F
      Transfer to bright tank and carb.

That should give you a clean, hop forward, West Coast style, American IPA

Comment

Aside from making a different beer or significantly changing process you have a few easy options to try.

1 - Lower the mash temp. It will help with higher attenuation and a dryer finish, for a less “sweet” perception.
        2 - Increase aeration. Same reasons as above.
        3 - Chloride/Sulphate ratio. Basically add Gypsum. It will help make the hops “pop”. This is what I would do in your situation.

Comment

Working...
        X