BOD Calculations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOD Calculations.

So our municipality requires self reporting on our BOD and apply a surcharge to our total water. We have the restrooms down stream of the brew house and have sampling points where everything converges and at the point of discharge. They will be checking our BOD and comparing it to my reporting every so often.

We are considering a couple pre-treatment options, Side Streaming obviously but I have also been looking at several treatment options including Ozone, Chlorine, and Chlorine Dioxide to reduce BOD.

My questions are:

Is there a way to calculate actual BOD with a one time sample basied on DO rather than using DO with the BOD5 formula?

How would the ORP potential of an oxidizing chemical affect the calculation?

Would i have to do a BOD5 calculation then treat the effluence.

Thanks

Chris

In order to do the BOD5 you need to have a seed from the sewer treatment plant so that you can check how it digests things. Without their seed, you have no idea what BOD would be. In any case, you would need to have two DO points of measure to calculate the BOD.

Comment

My understanding that the calculation of BOD5 was
      Then, mg/L B.O.D. = (D1 – D2 )/P

where,
      P = decimal fraction of sample used.
      D1 = dissolved oxygen of diluted sample (mg/L), immediately after preparation.
      D2 = dissolved oxygen of diluted sample (mg/L), at the end of 5 days incubation.

I have seen measurements requiring a seed but if the seed is specific to each individual treatment facility than wouldn't there not be a common standard to calculate BOD5?

Chris

Comment

I suspect most plants run a similar process for their digestors, but I dont work at one, so I cant say for certain. You should ask your municipality the standards they require. How large is your brewery? This is a pretty large requirement for any brewery under 10k bbl/yr.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
          I suspect most plants run a similar process for their digestors, but I dont work at one, so I cant say for certain. You should ask your municipality the standards they require. How large is your brewery? This is a pretty large requirement for any brewery under 10k bbl/yr.
          jebzter

Thanks, and I agree with your last statement. At our previous location we did 400bbls. Im not super keen on asking them because our point person is difficult to deal with and when I ask for clarification on answers they give I cant get a straight answer or a completely different answer when subjects are brought up again. We have basically given 1 year at self reporting during which they were going to bill us a surcharge the same as a restaurant. I think they believe we are going to be dumping everything down the drain at AB levels untreated or something. I also know they are not taking into consideration the sanitary waste that the industrial waste stream eventual blends with which will dilute the BOD and is our major source of water usage.

We may take the BOD on day 1 after we dose the waste and report those numbers. Ill probable also take samples pre treatment so I can know our reduction levels.

Part of desire on this is we want to develop a onsite monitoring and discharge system and get our BOD below their threshold after dilution with sanitary. We are looking into using Hydrogen Peroxide or other Oxidizers in possibly a Photo-Fenten reaction.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

If you need any further help, you can always have them give my sewer guy a call. He is very knowledgeable about brewery and winery waste, and very practical. We only have semi-annual monitoring which they do. And since the actual volume of what goes down the drain is very low, their only concern is if I dump a load of yeast(>100 gallons) as it throws off the system on their end.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
              If you need any further help, you can always have them give my sewer guy a call. He is very knowledgeable about brewery and winery waste, and very practical. We only have semi-annual monitoring which they do. And since the actual volume of what goes down the drain is very low, their only concern is if I dump a load of yeast(>100 gallons) as it throws off the system on their end.
              Jebzter

Thanks

I have one more option but i will send an email when i get a chance.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X