Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NE IPA Lauter Techniques

Hi, all!

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to improve lauter times for their New England/hazy IPAs. We've run one so far, and while it turned out pretty tasty, our lauter was 3.5 - 4 hours long, and a right pain. We pretty much had to "batch" sparge with the rakes running, and physically remixing the mash with our grain out hoe to keep things flowing. I've toyed with grain percentages to dial back the adjuncts (while keeping the haze), and will likely incorporate a mash out of 168°F on the next go.

We're working with a Premier 20bbl 3 vessel brewhouse (mash tun, lauter tun, & kettle).

Anyone else find ways to make this process easier, and more time efficient?

Thanks!
    Ben

First, what is the grist? You ask as if there is some standard NEIPA grain bill.

Second, the easy answer is probably rice hulls.
    Last edited by soia1138; 02-08-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Ah. Good call.

It's about 55% barley varieties & 45% a mix of oats, wheat, & rye. We used 50 lbs of rice hulls in the lauter tun. Mixed in during transfer from MT to LT.

Comment

If you can always do a mash out temp. Try mashing in at 122 for a 10 min protein rest, raise to Alpha and Beta then mashout.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

All the hulls

Originally posted by BenT View Post
          Ah. Good call.

It's about 55% barley varieties & 45% a mix of oats, wheat, & rye. We used 50 lbs of rice hulls in the lauter tun. Mixed in during transfer from MT to LT.
          personally I would cut that adjunct percentage in half and double the rice hulls and you should be rocking

Comment

Reduce adjuncts, more rice hulls, and a smaller % of unmalted wheat than wheat malt will give haze and replace the weight with base malt.
            Craft Automation
            269-389-0048
            CraftAutomation.com
            sales@craftautomation.com

Comment

I'd suggest you ditch the rye.

I am assuming you mean flaked rye, by the way. That stuff has always caused me mash stickiness issues.

We make tons of NEIPAs in a pretty janky brewhouse with no rakes and no jacket (meaning no mash out.) We don't go that high with unmalted adjuncts, but generally stick (pardon the pun) to flaked oats and *malted* wheat (tons of enzymes there) and have had great success despite our equipment, even with really big doubles. We usually max out the oats at 20% of the grist. We don't even need rice hulls (which I find almost as much of a PIA as a stuck/slow mash.)

If you are really going for a rye character, try using malted. I have found it much more lauter-friendly than the flakes. Get your *stable* haze from the oats, yeast selection, and dry hop schedule.

Good luck.

-Mike
              Last edited by MikeS; 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X