Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1" MNPT Glycol Connections on Tank

Hi All,

We just got some of our new tanks for our brewery on Wednesday. they all have two zones of glycol jacket, the fittings are 1" MNPT. I am going with a 3 1/3hp glycol chiller that is not a typical chiller, it is meant to be more of a homebrew setup but should easily cool and cold crash our 5 bbl system. Each tank will have it's own pump which will turn on and off with it's own controller. The problem I need help with is the hoses the chiller is setup for is 3/8" hose barbs, I had planned on running a hose from the barb and connecting up with pex and then from there plumb all of the pex to the lowest inlet on the tank, jumper the first zone outlet to the second zone inlet and return the glycol to the chiller reservoir from the top outlet port. I realize this isn't how the pro's do it but it's what I can afford right now.

My issue is I am having trouble finding a 1" female NPT adapter that goes to 1/2" PEX, I would prefer to run all this in 1/2" pex but am having a really really tough time finding the right adapter without doing multiple adapters. I also am concerned about going with brass which I have found some items available versus stainless.

I've searched forums and googled everything I can think of and just asking for help at this point. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RP

Look for Banjo 90 degree MPT x hose barb...

They work well. Sounds like your chiller is meant for long beer lines with high restriction/back pressure. You want low back pressure and high flow. Might want to increase line size to save on pumping heat. And don't jumper one jacket to the other. Should be separate from same header. Brass is fine, especially for short-term. If all else fails, use reducer bushings. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
      They work well. Sounds like your chiller is meant for long beer lines with high restriction/back pressure. You want low back pressure and high flow. Might want to increase line size to save on pumping heat. And don't jumper one jacket to the other. Should be separate from same header. Brass is fine, especially for short-term. If all else fails, use reducer bushings. Good luck!
      Thanks a lot for your response on this. I should have provided a little better detail: https://www.penguinchillers.com/prod...l-xl-chillers/ <-- This is the style of chiller I am planning to purchase, looking at either the 2hp or 3 1/3rd hp version. If you look at the picture you can see it comes with hose barbs which then individually hook up to small submersible pumps that go right in the glycol reservoir, each would have a line going to the fermenter and is controlled by turning the pump on and off. The pumps are pretty small, only doing 3.5gpm w/16' max head. I'm not sure running two connections to the jacket inlets on both zones would work with one pump, heck, I'm not even sure this system will work at all, I have plenty of time to test because it will take me months to get all my licensing done anyway. I've seen lots of people doing similar stuff.

One thing is I can get that chiller without the barbs, I was told maybe I can just drop a suction pipe into the reservoir and run a single pump in a more traditional glycol loop. I would really love to try this but I just can't figure out what size or type of pump I would need to do this. That setup would be ideal so I don't have to run so many lines, can just put a normal glycol header and return loop and get solenoids for the tanks.

If anyone knows what type of pump would work for what I described I would love more info, hate to purchase something that won't work.

Thanks,

RP

Comment

I can help ya out. I just went through almost the exact same thing this time last year. I’ll do a video of my system later today.

What I will say is that you should definitely do a traditional glycol loop wiith expandable manifolds for when you add vessels., and not jumper your two jackets. You’ll lose efficiency, and you also lose the ability to shut off one jacket if you do a small batch. One pump per vessel is asking for a world of hurt, and cost.

Also suggest rotating ball valves instead of solenoid. They’re about 20% more money, but solenoids get stuck open and wreck fermentation’s. There are rotating ball valves on amazon for about 75$.

You should be able to add a bulkhead fitting to the glycol reservoir so you can put in a 3/4 or 1” outflow. 3/8” is way too small.

Don’t try and cobble your glycol system together with baler twine. It’s a crucial part of your operation, and even cobbling is expensive.

JR
        Jeremy Reed
        Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
        The North of 48 Brewing Company
        Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post
          I can help ya out. I just went through almost the exact same thing this time last year. I’ll do a video of my system later today.

What I will say is that you should definitely do a traditional glycol loop wiith expandable manifolds for when you add vessels., and not jumper your two jackets. You’ll lose efficiency, and you also lose the ability to shut off one jacket if you do a small batch. One pump per vessel is asking for a world of hurt, and cost.

Also suggest rotating ball valves instead of solenoid. They’re about 20% more money, but solenoids get stuck open and wreck fermentation’s. There are rotating ball valves on amazon for about 75$.

You should be able to add a bulkhead fitting to the glycol reservoir so you can put in a 3/4 or 1” outflow. 3/8” is way too small.

Don’t try and cobble your glycol system together with baler twine. It’s a crucial part of your operation, and even cobbling is expensive.

JR
          This is excellent. Can't wait to see the video. Appreciate all the help so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post

JR
            Did you ever do the video? How about a link.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jawsfree View Post
              Did you ever do the video? How about a link.

Thanks
              I sure did... watch these in order...

Jeremy Reed
              Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
              The North of 48 Brewing Company
              Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Working...
              X