Double batching into unitanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double batching into unitanks

We are about to begin double batching into our new Unitanks....double the size of our system. Honestly, I've never double batched before. The way our current system runs, we can only brew once a day. So we brew back to back. Anything I should know ahead of time? Since the brews will be roughly 24 hours apart, pitch yeast after the first batch? Give me some pointers please!

The search function should return a lot of results for multi-day multi-turn brews. Topic has been covered quite extensively. Search Multiple day fermentor fill

Comment

I have double batched with our 15 bbl system into 30 bbl fermenters for about 4 years. We brew once a day. We add a 30 bbl pitchable amount of yeast the first day. Oxygenate, if needed on the first day. On 2nd day just transfer the wort on top of the first brew. This has worked successfully for quite a few hundred brews.

Cheers,
      Wayne

Comment

I work on a 3bbl system, brewing into 7bbl fermenters. I brew over two days as well.

It is a common misconception that you have to add yeast for the total amount of beer you're producing. The first day's brew is like creating a massive starter. Pitch as if you were only brewing for the first day. You could theoretically add 9x the amount of wort in day two over the top of the first day's brew, and you'd still have enough yeast. The only caveat is that you'll need to make sure that - even for lagers - you're at prime yeast temp for reproduction (around 70F) for that first overnight. Then back it down to whatever you usually ferment at after you've transferred in the second batch of wort.

I oxygenate the full first day's transfer, and I cut off the 02 about half way into the second day, unless it has a very high SG, or is a lager.

Otherwise, there is nothing special about the process. It works very well, and I honestly love brewing twice for a single batch. God forbid something happens on day one, it gives you a small insurance plan to help modify for day two (especially helpful when you're brewing something for the first time, or something particularly finicky).

Comment

Working...
        X