Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Recommendations for Beer Pump Use Only

Hello,

I'm looking to get a an air compressor that will only be used to run 10 beer pumps in our walk in. I know to get an oiless type, but I have no idea how much air the Flojet beer pumps use and without knowing this it's impossible to size an air compressor. Any advice is appreciated.

I was thinking something along this line might work.
    The California Air Tools SP Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1-HP 5.5-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor CAT-5510SE has been discontinued. Check out Expert's recommended alternatives for another top portable - horizontal air compressor.

Thank you,
    Paul

Have you thought about using CO2 operated pumps?

If the only thing you are using air for is to run the pumps it might be worth the cost of the extra CO2. Then you don't have to deal with the extra piece of equipment, let alone the sound of an air compressor kicking on in your taproom during service...

-Mike

Comment

Isn't the cost of the CO2 a concern? I was also concerned about how to vent the co2. Do you just run a line outside of the walk in and let in vent into that room? Sounds like it could be a safety issue.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by pmcint01 View Post
        Isn't the cost of the CO2 a concern? I was also concerned about how to vent the co2. Do you just run a line outside of the walk in and let in vent into that room? Sounds like it could be a safety issue.
        I had a few pumps running off bottled CO2 in a situation where an air compressor was not a particularly viable option. Part of the reason was noise as mentioned. Usage of gas was minimal so cost was not a significant factor. Venting was the primary concern as pumps were located in the walk-in and gas build up would occur if not vented properly. They system worked fine for me, although I would have rather fitted an over-sized scroll compressor and split the air supply for a few other projects as well.

Comment

I recently had the same problem. I bought a little Rolair JC13 to install in the cooler. It ran eight beer pumps without a problem, and you could not hear it from across the wall at all. It wasn't even loud in the cooler.

The biggest problem I had was getting anyone to open the drain valve daily. I installed an auto drain and that fixed that.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X