A question on boiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question on boiling

Some days I have a good rolling boil with one jacket on and the next day I have a very weak boil with one jacket on. Whats the deal with that?
    For a while, I thought it was barometric pressure but after checking the barometer during brew days, the barometric pressure made no difference.

Obviously, this is not a very important or pressing question, I am only curious to know.

Cheers,

Dan

There is an interesting article about thermostatic air vents https://www.academia.edu/29191175/Th...ed_Vessels.pdf
    MBAA has a podcast about it.
    You could have air trapped in the jacket.

Another thing is if you have plugged condensate return piping and the condensate is flooding your jacket. Clean all the strainers in the condensate return lines.

Comment

Double check two things when you are boiling. First, check HLT controller or other steam heated applications to see if you are drawing energy away from the kettle during boiling. Second, check the output pressure of your boiler during both strong and weak boils. Some “undersized” boilers may have trouble keeping up pressure during boiling. Usually this happens when heating to boil as the energy demand is so high. It usually causes a low water shut-off if this is an issue.

Clogged condensate is a common issue as mentioned.

Check your evaporation rates and liquid temperature. You may just be observing a difference that looks bigger than it really is.

Comment

Thank you guys for the response!

I appreciate it!

Thanks again

Cheers,

D

Comment

Working...
        X