Yeast blown out blow off arm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast blown out blow off arm.

Occasionally at the very end of fermentation I get yeast blowing out top into my blow off bucket. It always leaves me scratching my head. Does anyone know why this might happen?

Are you doing something to change the environment in the fermeter like agressive dry hopping, or raising the temperature drastically/quickly for a diacetyl rest?

Comment

I raised the temp on this last batch but it only went to 70 from 69. No dry hopping.

Comment

Top cropping strains like to rise to the top at the very end of fermentation I'm guessing that's what you are seeing

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
          Top cropping strains like to rise to the top at the very end of fermentation I'm guessing that's what you are seeing
          Our house yeast is an American ale strain. I don't believe it is considered top cropping.

Comment

It may not be top cropping, but invariably top cropping yeasts form a head before it collapses almost completely (far more than a top cropping yeast), in some cases completely.

This simply suggests your vessels are slightly too small for the volumes you are brewing. Even for bottom cropping yeasts, it is generally considered necessary to have 20 to 25 % over capacity - but I always remind people that the critical factor is the vertical height between the top of the wort and anything that might result in yeast overflowing, rather than a simple percentage. Which I admit is easier said than done if starting a new brewery, with no experience of how the yeast behaves under the required fermentation conditions with that particular brew volume and vessel dimensions.

Try using antifoam of some sort to reduce the yeast head depth.
            dick

Comment

This is probably what is happening. It only occurs in my 20 bbl fermenters. I'm sure I am just putting a little too much wort in. Thank you for the info.

Comment

Working...
              X