too cloudy hefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too cloudy hefer

This is my third batch making hefer. the first 2 came right but this one looks too mulky. The only thing diferent i think I left it ferment 17 days. I did drain a lot of sludge. now when racking I build up the presure using the airstone. It taste as a hefer no off flavor but more cloudy. i was thinking on passing it thru a filter from keg to kegs. my othe whet beers come ok. so it could be a process issue?
    Attached Files

How are you storing your kegs? Right side up or upside down?

Comment

Given that you had two batches work out, I'm gonna focus on the yeast. Same strain as the other two batches? Is this a repitch? If your harvesting procedure isn't getting you the best pitch, you could be favoring petite mutants that resist floccing.

If that's not the issue, I don't think extended fermentation is a problem, unless the reason it took that long is because the yeast were unhealthy. As this point, I'd add some BioFine to your brite and wait a couple days. It should clear the beer a bit without giving you a kristalweizen. Extended storage in kegs will also clear the beer out, though the first few pints will be very turbid. I try to make sure I don't end up with that much yeast in my kegs. A filter could work, but I avoid filters at all costs, having had bad experiences not only with the filters themselves, and the time they add to transfers, but also the things they can strip from the beer that I want to keep. I rely more on time and temp, and finings if I need them. Good luck.

Comment

kegs

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
        How are you storing your kegs? Right side up or upside down?
        I sanitize them a couple of day before. then to the cooler upside (valve to the top) and keep them at 62'F

Comment

process

Originally posted by spetrovits View Post
          Given that you had two batches work out, I'm gonna focus on the yeast. Same strain as the other two batches? Is this a repitch? If your harvesting procedure isn't getting you the best pitch, you could be favoring petite mutants that resist floccing.

If that's not the issue, I don't think extended fermentation is a problem, unless the reason it took that long is because the yeast were unhealthy. As this point, I'd add some BioFine to your brite and wait a couple days. It should clear the beer a bit without giving you a kristalweizen. Extended storage in kegs will also clear the beer out, though the first few pints will be very turbid. I try to make sure I don't end up with that much yeast in my kegs. A filter could work, but I avoid filters at all costs, having had bad experiences not only with the filters themselves, and the time they add to transfers, but also the things they can strip from the beer that I want to keep. I rely more on time and temp, and finings if I need them. Good luck.
          yes same strain no repitch and alwasy new yeast. I use a mesh filter this time in my other batch I went strait from the tank. Again the only diference was that I didnt preasurized on the head of the tank. I did it thru the carb stone. I think I just disturb the beer and I didnt dipose as much sludge or yeast from the bottom tank. Now the 2 kegs I sold recently were the last from the tank. I am going to move tonight some so I will take from the beggining of the process. and see .

thanks
          Chuck Peterson

Comment

Which strain? We finally had to drop WB06 as we couldn't get it to drop even after months...
            Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
            Chairman of the Beer
            Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
            Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
            W: www.lovibonds.com
            F: LovibondsBrewery
            T: @Lovibonds

Comment

I would suggest you add calcium to help aid in flocculation of the yeast. I would bet adding CaSO4 or CaCl would drop the yeast and leave the haze you would expect to see. This should help with both you and Rosie. WB-06, Munich Classic, 300, 3068, all of them have extreme turbidity at low calcium levels in my experience.

Comment

Working...
              X