Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEIPA atsringency ie "throat burn"

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has some science and data surrounding the typical throat burn issue common with many NEIPA's. Recently I have started brewing some of the more extreme versions of these beers after having great success with some "mild versions". I am getting great mouthfeel and a killer hop profile but as you make your way through a glass the slight burn in the back of your throat occurs. I like to try and take a scientific approach to solving issues rather than shooting darts in the dark. I can't find a lot of articles/data explaining what is happening so I am reaching out here. I have a few ideas

1) Perhaps amount of vegetal matter from the extreme amount of dry hops causes elevated polyphenols leaving the unpleasant burning character?

2) Perhaps the active dry hop portion and the binding of hops and non flocculant yeast cells causes this?

3) Could cryo hops and or cold conditioning longer help to solve this issue?

Thanks

Hop burn

Originally posted by Sgaura79 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has some science and data surrounding the typical throat burn issue common with many NEIPA's. Recently I have started brewing some of the more extreme versions of these beers after having great success with some "mild versions". I am getting great mouthfeel and a killer hop profile but as you make your way through a glass the slight burn in the back of your throat occurs. I like to try and take a scientific approach to solving issues rather than shooting darts in the dark. I can't find a lot of articles/data explaining what is happening so I am reaching out here. I have a few ideas

1) Perhaps amount of vegetal matter from the extreme amount of dry hops causes elevated polyphenols leaving the unpleasant burning character?

2) Perhaps the active dry hop portion and the binding of hops and non flocculant yeast cells causes this?

3) Could cryo hops and or cold conditioning longer help to solve this issue?

Thanks

That is hop burn you describe (most likely). If you have a centrifuge, that is a quick way to clean it up, otherwise just let it sit in the brite for longer until it mellows out. Our DIPAs benefit from 7-10 days in the brite at 28F and realistically you could probably push that to 14 days and it would be about perfect for my palate. Rule of thumb is more hops = more time cold to clear up that burn. Our DIPAs are usually dry hopped at 5-7lbs/bbl for reference

Comment

Originally posted by quijiba View Post
      That is hop burn you describe (most likely). If you have a centrifuge, that is a quick way to clean it up, otherwise just let it sit in the brite for longer until it mellows out. Our DIPAs benefit from 7-10 days in the brite at 28F and realistically you could probably push that to 14 days and it would be about perfect for my palate. Rule of thumb is more hops = more time cold to clear up that burn. Our DIPAs are usually dry hopped at 5-7lbs/bbl for reference
      Thanks for the reply. That was the path I was considering going down with another NEIPA I have in the tank. Makes complete sense, appreciate the incite.

Cheers

Comment

Along with cold conditioning look at your water profile I shoot for chlorides at 180 ppm sulfates 60 ppm. Our DIPA is hopped at 5.3 lbs/bbl contact time three days then cold crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
        X