Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gut check on initial costs

Hi all,

Am in cost projection phase and wondering if could get some gut checks on the below. This is a cold shell new warehouse, and renting 6.3k sqft. Right now assuming new 10bbl steam system (not buying directly from China), taproom only (no food sales except food trucks or people bringing their own food). No distribution, strictly taproom sales. Seating capacity of 150, brewhouse/cellar space/grain/mill/keg cleaning/boiler of 2k sqft, coldroom space of 1k sqft. 6 beers on tap

Below are just the initial buildout/service/brew equipment costs. I have no quotes outside of research, and many of the construction costs are complete stabs in the dark right now - e.g. is $50k anywhere in the ballpark for a simple 2-stall bathroom buildout, is the overall cost ($567k) way under-budget for a cold shell (a wall is up on one side, but not the other).

Edit: this is the northern VA area, so assuming prices a bit on the higher end.

Appreciate any help

Click image for larger version

Name:	Costs1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	195978

Name:	costs2.PNG
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	195981

Name:	costs3.PNG
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	195980
    Attached Files

It is hard to tell you what the cost is going to be of trades like plumbing, electrical...

To my opinion sometimes you are low like mill and sometimes you are high like auger.

This is my rule of thumb. Put down all the expenses you think you are going to have. Then multiple that number by 1.5 to barely fit in the actual cost and by 2 to be comfortable.

Good luck

Comment

Good Rule

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
      It is hard to tell you what the cost is going to be of trades like plumbing, electrical...

To my opinion sometimes you are low like mill and sometimes you are high like auger.

This is my rule of thumb. Put down all the expenses you think you are going to have. Then multiple that number by 1.5 to barely fit in the actual cost and by 2 to be comfortable.

Good luck

This is a very good rule of thumb, no matter how much you break it down, it will cost more than you think. You've done an excellent job on these breakdowns but like the poster above said, double it and that's your gut check. IF you can swing that amount of money, you're probably good!

Comment

Thanks guys for looking over and the advice!

Comment

Not including equipment our build-out cost for a 2000sf brewery/taproom was about $225k. For a 6000sf location I would say your non-equipment cost is what your total is right now ~$550k.

Comment

Please explain, someone, how a couple of bathrooms cost $50k.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBred View Post
              Please explain, someone, how a couple of bathrooms cost $50k.
              Plumbing, Electrical, possibly drains, all that stuff costs a ton of money, and that's before fixtures. Plus, number of toilets, etc is based on taproom capacity so if there's a large taproom, that's extra of all that.

Comment

Originally posted by mgustafson View Post
                Plumbing, Electrical, possibly drains, all that stuff costs a ton of money, and that's before fixtures. Plus, number of toilets, etc is based on taproom capacity so if there's a large taproom, that's extra of all that.
                Ya I know. It was more of a rhetorical question. They were $40K a decade or two ago. but... Fixtures-home depot, couple grand. Toilets, $300-500 apiece, maybe "commercial strength" ones cost more... I dunno, just seems stupid.

Comment

Working...
                X