Propagating Lactobacillus Brevis for kettle souring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propagating Lactobacillus Brevis for kettle souring

We are looking to do ~15-20 BBL batches of a sour, so I'm researching kettle souring.

I plan to do it based on this post: https://discussions.probrewer.com/sh...-in-the-kettle

I'm trying to do research on propagating lacto brevis from a homebrew packet (5 gal pitch) as opposed to buying a large pitch from wyeast etc. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on this front?

We have the tech to keep up to 2 BBL at 100+ F and blanket with CO2 for the prop. Our full system is a 30 BBL, and I'm fairly confident I can also keep that at temp and circulating during the pH drop.

I also read a thread about storing soured wort in a brink for later use, I hope to be able to do this as well.

We have phosphoric acid 75% on hand. According to the calculations I did I should only need about ~12 mL to drop the pH from 5.4 to 4.0. I read in another thread that phosphoric shouldn't affect the taste, but I'm curious as to whether lactic acid would be a better option for this purpose.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hello there,
    Kettle Souring a beer with Lacto is relatively easy, we used lactic acid to drop the wort pH in the kettle from 5.2 to 4.3 and kind of pasteurise the wort at 85C for 20 mins, then cool it down to 39-42C. We prefer lactic since Lacto will be producing the acid naturally anyways so the flavour/chemistry of the lactic wont affect the fermentation. It only takes 24 hours to drop to pH 3.2-3.4. Then we boil as normal and ferment with a clean yeast.

As for propagating Lactob. it shouldnt be too hard, so long you keep it above 36C and with constant agitation if possible. You might need some oxygen in there forit to grow rather than ferment. Check the Milk the Funk page or similar, there are plenty resources out there.
    Hope it helps,
    All the best
    Jose
    Jose Argudo
    Head Brewer
    3Monos Craft Beer
    Malaga, Spain
    www.3monoscaftbeer.com

Comment

Originally posted by NewRepublicBrew View Post
      We are looking to do ~15-20 BBL batches of a sour, so I'm researching kettle souring.

I plan to do it based on this post: https://discussions.probrewer.com/sh...-in-the-kettle

I'm trying to do research on propagating lacto brevis from a homebrew packet (5 gal pitch) as opposed to buying a large pitch from wyeast etc. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on this front?

We have the tech to keep up to 2 BBL at 100+ F and blanket with CO2 for the prop. Our full system is a 30 BBL, and I'm fairly confident I can also keep that at temp and circulating during the pH drop.

I also read a thread about storing soured wort in a brink for later use, I hope to be able to do this as well.

We have phosphoric acid 75% on hand. According to the calculations I did I should only need about ~12 mL to drop the pH from 5.4 to 4.0. I read in another thread that phosphoric shouldn't affect the taste, but I'm curious as to whether lactic acid would be a better option for this purpose.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hey there

I would highly recommend the Sour Pitch from Lallemand. It is Plantarum though. After souring we will harvest, keep in cold room until needed and go for up to 5 times.

If you are using mains water your bicarbonate will dictate how much acid you will need to get down to pH 4.0.

We use phosphoric to drop the wort pH as it is "cleaner" in profile than lactic acid.

Definitely read Milk The Funk if you want to go down the propagation route. MAKE SURE TO KEEP 02 OUT OF THE KETTLE DURING SOURING

Cheers

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback!

Brewing a sour today, we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X