Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Aging Adjuncts

Hey folks,

Been researching barrel aging for a while now and have a couple questions. We're receiving Buffalo Trace, Coconut Rum and Maple barrels by the end of the week and plan to fill them in about 2 weeks. Primarily barrel flavoring adjuncts and quantities.

In 53 Gallon barrels, whats the average quantity you guys use for things like:
    - Vanilla Beans
    - Toasted Coconut
    - Cacao Nibs
    - Coffee
    - Pecans
    - Cinnamon

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

not sure about everyone else but I would wait to add your adjuncts till after barrel aging.

Comment

Originally posted by Piper Gladwill View Post
      not sure about everyone else but I would wait to add your adjuncts till after barrel aging.
      Yeah, I'd agree here. I don't know how long you're planning on maturing your beer in barrels, but you don't want your beer to contact those flavorings for as long as I'd expect you to be aging your beer. I'd either introduce them to the beer in late stage primary (or in secondary, if you believe in a cold crash before barrel aging) - in which case I'd expect for a mellowing of the flavors after prolonged barrel aging - or I'd add them after barrel aging is complete (or into the barrels when it is nearly complete, if you're not planning on reusing the barrels).

Comment

Working...
      X