Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

draft system install, what's a fair price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• draft system install, what's a fair price?

Hi all.
    I have been approached by a restaurant owner that is opening a new pizza place in a town near mine. He is wanting me to install a new draft system in the very old building that he is renovating. I'm not an amateur at installing draft systems, I've done several installs and redo's at various places that I have worked in the past. I am well versed in the ins and outs of line balancing and design and do everything by the book.

Here is a few details of what I would be doing. this will be a 12 faucet, short draw, air cooled system with the taps being directly above the cold room in the basement. Aside from the line install, I would be doing some carpentry/ plumbing and electrical work as well as pricing out and quoting different packages of draft system equipment. And training the owner on proper draft system maintenance.

My question is what is a fair price to ask for a job like this? should I charge by the hour or try to work out a set price for the job? is there anyone out there that does installs of draft systems that would be willing to share what they charge?

Side note, this is something that I would be doing as a one time side job, unassociated with my brewery.

Originally posted by Richard Pivo View Post
    Hi all.
    I have been approached by a restaurant owner that is opening a new pizza place in a town near mine. He is wanting me to install a new draft system in the very old building that he is renovating. I'm not an amateur at installing draft systems, I've done several installs and redo's at various places that I have worked in the past. I am well versed in the ins and outs of line balancing and design and do everything by the book.

Here is a few details of what I would be doing. this will be a 12 faucet, short draw, air cooled system with the taps being directly above the cold room in the basement. Aside from the line install, I would be doing some carpentry/ plumbing and electrical work as well as pricing out and quoting different packages of draft system equipment. And training the owner on proper draft system maintenance.

My question is what is a fair price to ask for a job like this? should I charge by the hour or try to work out a set price for the job? is there anyone out there that does installs of draft systems that would be willing to share what they charge?

Side note, this is something that I would be doing as a one time side job, unassociated with my brewery.
    I would charge by the hour. Anywhere from $40-150 for a private contractor is the going rate, depending on where you live and the scarcity of the work being done. For example, a painter doing a bedroom isn't going to fetch the same rate as an industrial plumber.

Doing a one time gig like this is a bit of a liability nightmare though. You would probably wan't to do this through your brewery business and see what the insurance company want's to cover you for the job. Otherwise you would need to setup a separate business and insurance policy. You need to protect yourself, your company, and the pizza shop from liability.

We have a farm policy on our cidery/meadery that covers off farm labor. I'm sure you can get something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaOrchard View Post
      I would charge by the hour. Anywhere from $40-150 for a private contractor is the going rate, depending on where you live and the scarcity of the work being done. For example, a painter doing a bedroom isn't going to fetch the same rate as an industrial plumber.

Doing a one time gig like this is a bit of a liability nightmare though. You would probably wan't to do this through your brewery business and see what the insurance company want's to cover you for the job. Otherwise you would need to setup a separate business and insurance policy. You need to protect yourself, your company, and the pizza shop from liability.

We have a farm policy on our cidery/meadery that covers off farm labor. I'm sure you can get something similar.
      Thanks for your response. I actually didn't think at all about the liability issue. It makes total sense. If you ever find yourself in northeast Iowa stop by and have a drink on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Pivo View Post
        Thanks for your response. I actually didn't think at all about the liability issue. It makes total sense. If you ever find yourself in northeast Iowa stop by and have a drink on me.
        I'm a little embarrassed to say I've never even been to the state of Iowa. Only one state in between us. We travel a lot too, just never seemed to travel through or to Iowa.

Comment

No worries. I've never been to Indiana! And before I moved to iowa for work I actually had to look at a map to remind myself where iowa was. :/

Comment

Iowa and Indiana look very nice--from 35,000 ft!
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X