California Type 23 total FEES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Type 23 total FEES

Hi guys. Me and my partner are looking to open a brewhouse in California. I was looking to you guys to help me out with my budgeting for startup costs. What are we roughly looking at spending for California type 23 Licensing and TTB as well. Thanks for your help.

You're best off calling them to confirm. TTB is free. We had the government shutdown in the middle, but it took about 2 months actual time to receive our TTB approval. I only missed one thing on my TTB paperwork, so it was really smooth for us. California ABC quotes 60-90 days.

We just submitted our applications for ABC. There is an origination fee of $100, annual fee of $200 and background check fee of $63 per person plus the Livescan fee from wherever you get your fingerprints done (we paid $35/person for this.) Fingerprints are required of any shareholder with more than 10% of shares and also everyone's spouses. You will need to bring your city's zoning letter that states that the building you are in is zoned for a brewery. In my case, that cost was $478, but I'd bet it varies by city. If you are a corporation, bring your articles of incorporation with you and shareholder meeting minutes with all shareholders names that were present and their title in the company. The content of the meeting minutes doesn't matter. We're am S type corporation. Call the ABC and tell them exactly what you are doing and they will tell you which forms to fill out. All are listed on the ABC website, but not all are needed for all types of breweries. If you can't go to ABC with your partner, you need notarized signatures from anyone that cannot sign in person ($10-15 per signature.) I've been to the ABC office 4 times so far, so factor in a few trips to get everything right.

Depending on what you are doing, there could be a ton of other fees from your city and county. I think I probably have at least 300 hours invested in researching all the stuff that we needed to do, so plan accordingly. So far, the adage of "whatever you think you need, double it" has been spot on for us. I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by esbq View Post
      You're best off calling them to confirm. TTB is free. We had the government shutdown in the middle, but it took about 2 months actual time to receive our TTB approval. I only missed one thing on my TTB paperwork, so it was really smooth for us. California ABC quotes 60-90 days.

We just submitted our applications for ABC. There is an origination fee of $100, annual fee of $200 and background check fee of $63 per person plus the Livescan fee from wherever you get your fingerprints done (we paid $35/person for this.) Fingerprints are required of any shareholder with more than 10% of shares and also everyone's spouses. You will need to bring your city's zoning letter that states that the building you are in is zoned for a brewery. In my case, that cost was $478, but I'd bet it varies by city. If you are a corporation, bring your articles of incorporation with you and shareholder meeting minutes with all shareholders names that were present and their title in the company. The content of the meeting minutes doesn't matter. We're am S type corporation. Call the ABC and tell them exactly what you are doing and they will tell you which forms to fill out. All are listed on the ABC website, but not all are needed for all types of breweries. If you can't go to ABC with your partner, you need notarized signatures from anyone that cannot sign in person ($10-15 per signature.) I've been to the ABC office 4 times so far, so factor in a few trips to get everything right.

Depending on what you are doing, there could be a ton of other fees from your city and county. I think I probably have at least 300 hours invested in researching all the stuff that we needed to do, so plan accordingly. So far, the adage of "whatever you think you need, double it" has been spot on for us. I hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Was there anything that you were able to get started on prior to obtaining your location?

Comment

From a paperwork perspective, no. Everything is tied to the address. I would advise making sure your finances are in order and that you can survive for 6 months before signing the lease. Things take way longer than you think when you start out. People aren't available, delays in ordering, shipping, etc. In retrospect, we could/should have submitted our paperwork immediately after signing the lease. There were a number of factors that led us to burn about 6 weeks before we filed, so that's nearly 2 months rent we could have saved. We also did the TTB paperwork first and didn't submit ABC paperwork until we received our brewers permit. You can submit them in parallel to save some time, as neither depends on the other. Since it looks like we're headed for another government shutdown later this year, I'd try to get things moving now so you aren't caught up in it like we were last time.

Comment

Working...
        X