Mash Stirring with Paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash Stirring with Paddle

I'm running a 10bbl system, milling into bags, dumping and then having to manually stir with a paddle. I've made it work for me, but now that I have a new rookie he's having trouble figuring out how to stir it evenly. I'm sure he'll figure it out on his own eventually, but I'm trying to speed things up. Could anyone that's been through it describe their stirring technique, or know where to find a video/picture of it? All I can find is agitators and homebrewers.

Can you buy or build a grist hydrator?
    That way the work of mixing is largely done by the hydrator itself - as the grain falls it passes through a stream of hot water & gets mixed.
    Glacier Tanks have one for about $370
    https://www.glaciertanks.com/tank-hy...ator-g150.html Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5422.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	191883

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got one actually. It's a pretty decent DME mash tun, with a hydrator assembly. Problem is that they designed the place with about 3 feet of room above that hydrator. So I fill the mash tun through the hydrator, but can't hook up an auger to it, nor have space for a grist case. I was initially dumping grain during hydrator fill, but my temps were being too inconsistent, even with stirring after.

Right now I dump bags until I have dry grist floating, then stir, then add 2-4 bags and stir again, until it's all in. A few heavy stirs at half-way to break up hot spots at the bottom, and then a few more at the end to try to eliminate dry spots. I can mash 200kg in 7 minutes after fill and get decently consistent temperatures. Perhaps I'm just having more trouble explaining the dynamics of the stirring, since he came from a 3hl with an agitator and less than a year experience.

Comment

I love the DME hydrator design, it needs a regular clean, but works so well...sorry you can’t really use it where you are[emoji51]
        Not sure what else to suggest!
        Good luck[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Two people - one tipping grist in as the second stirs it in progressively - more or less as you do. I've used a stainless steel garden fork successfully. It certainly proved better than a simple flat paddle - just needs to build up the stirring muscles and technique!!
          dick

Comment

Originally posted by scottjk7890 View Post
            I've got one actually. It's a pretty decent DME mash tun, with a hydrator assembly. Problem is that they designed the place with about 3 feet of room above that hydrator. So I fill the mash tun through the hydrator, but can't hook up an auger to it, nor have space for a grist case. I was initially dumping grain during hydrator fill, but my temps were being too inconsistent, even with stirring after.

Right now I dump bags until I have dry grist floating, then stir, then add 2-4 bags and stir again, until it's all in. A few heavy stirs at half-way to break up hot spots at the bottom, and then a few more at the end to try to eliminate dry spots. I can mash 200kg in 7 minutes after fill and get decently consistent temperatures. Perhaps I'm just having more trouble explaining the dynamics of the stirring, since he came from a 3hl with an agitator and less than a year experience.
            You should be able to fit the Choretime 75 auger in that 3 feet of space with a very short flex tube to the hydrator. The key will to remove the tube once you mashed to prevent steam gumming the works. You can attach the auger to a mill on a stand with a 20 degree boot.

Comment

Unfortunately this is India, if I found a similar auger here I doubt I'd get an SS screw. I'd also be concerned about milling rate matching flow in such a small tube. I have a rad with a 5hp motor, already set-up for an auger. For some reason the equipment was purchased for an auger set-up, probably for a grist case, but no one told the architect that. I'm still waiting on the wall blueprints too, as I put the mill in a spot that could be used later for an auger, but they ran pipes and cables through the wall to where I'm not sure what would happen if I put a hole in it.

As for the dump and stir, the deck and manway are both too small for that. I tried it once and it went very poorly. For now the best I've found is to make it a one man show with a second feeding bags up the stairs. I think your right, he'll just have to figure out his way and get stronger. It hasn't even been 2 months yet, so I'm probably expecting someone to mash-in like I'm used to pretty unrealistically.

Comment

The helix in a flex auger is not stainless steel, just steel. Anything used in the poultry industry in India should work fine. The key is to run a bag of un-milled grain through several times to clean off the grease.

I found this Choretime contact for your area in Thailand. You can order from them most likely.
                Siwakorn Kanyamee (K)
                Regional Sales Manager
                Mobile: +66(0)90-9107475
                skanyamee@ctbinc.com

Comment

Wonderful, thanks so much. I'm not in a position to drill into the wall yet, but I'll definitely pursue that once I get the rest sorted. I have a 3 ton ac in a sealed brewery with no air exhaust or circulation. In summer, fixing that is my main priority once I get my new brewer up to speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X