Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract or Tenant Brewer partner needed - Puget Sound Area

Good afternoon, Brewers.
    Our company is looking for an established brewery in the Puget Sound Area that has available capacity and is open to a contract or tenant brewing relationship. The SoDo/Georgetown area being the ideal geographic locale but would be open to any area in the region.

We’ve been developing a new type of drink for over a year that is now ready for production. While the beverage is technically considered a beer, it doesn’t resemble any other traditional beer (or non-traditional for that matter) on the market...aka, it’ll play well with your brewery and your current offerings. It champions tropical agricultural ingredients from my family’s business on the Big Island of Hawaii and is perfect for the customer who’s looking for an alternative to a traditional beer.

We’re looking to start small (in the 10BBL range) as we adjust for scale-up, but would be open to larger or smaller volumes if it works better for your biz model. We don’t have a need for the brew-plant at all. The formula would need a jacketed FV, Brite tank and plate filter. We can go over further needs and details if you’re brewery is interested.

Short term contracts would be fine but we’d also be open to a long term partnership if the relationship seems beneficial for both parties. We plan on promoting and marketing this product heavily (I’ve been a marketing executive for the past 20 years and plan on leveraging the experience) and would love to discuss ways in which our mutual relationship can work out to be something extremely positive for both companies.

Please reach out if you have any suggestions or thoughts. We’d love to hear them!

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Cam Campbell

Originally posted by CamCam View Post
    [...]
    We don’t have a need for the brew-plant at all. The formula would need a jacketed FV, Brite tank and plate filter. We can go over further needs and details if you’re brewery is interested.
    If you don't need the brew house, does the TTB actually consider it beer? I know that Sonny Daze Cellars in Seattle tried to license as a brewery, but the formula was not considered beer by the TTB, and he ended up with a winery license. And it was an unusual enough product that it took him forever to get approval, even as a winery. So a brewery may not be able to legally make and cellar your product. In that case, a Cidery or Winery might be a better choice for you. I'm not a lawyer, though, and I don't know if the same Alternating Proprietor or Contract arrangements are allowed in that business.

Regards,
    Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike for the reply (hey! we’re neighbors; DesMoines/NormandyPark).

While I’m not a lawyer either (and have a lot to learn), my understanding is that the formula falls under the category of an ‘IRC beer’: not a malt beverage, taxed at beer rates, operating under a TTB Brewery license and formula approval but ultimately does not fall under the FAA Act. Instead it’s under the purview of the NRC and the FDA (i.e. no need for COLA, but different rules regarding ingredients and labeling, mandatory government warnings, etc.).
      TTB Ruling 2008-003 is the document that defines the classifications. Calls to the TTB have appeared to confirm. While the product is not a seltzer, it falls under this same category. This includes the requirement that the labeling lists the category as ‘BEER’. Usually very small and difficult to notice.
      I’ve been hearing a lot of breweries allowing these ‘alternate offerings’ to be produced under their roofs if they have extra capacity and to offer their non-traditional beer drinking customers a choice in their tap rooms.
      We’re excited about the beverage and have received some great sensory panel reviews and would love to find a local brewery that wants to do something a bit different with us.

Comment

Originally posted by CamCam View Post
        Thanks, Mike for the reply (hey! we’re neighbors; DesMoines/NormandyPark).

While I’m not a lawyer either (and have a lot to learn), my understanding is that the formula falls under the category of an ‘IRC beer’: not a malt beverage, taxed at beer rates, operating under a TTB Brewery license and formula approval but ultimately does not fall under the FAA Act. Instead it’s under the purview of the NRC and the FDA (i.e. no need for COLA, but different rules regarding ingredients and labeling, mandatory government warnings, etc.).
        TTB Ruling 2008-003 is the document that defines the classifications. Calls to the TTB have appeared to confirm. While the product is not a seltzer, it falls under this same category. This includes the requirement that the labeling lists the category as ‘BEER’. Usually very small and difficult to notice.
        I’ve been hearing a lot of breweries allowing these ‘alternate offerings’ to be produced under their roofs if they have extra capacity and to offer their non-traditional beer drinking customers a choice in their tap rooms.
        We’re excited about the beverage and have received some great sensory panel reviews and would love to find a local brewery that wants to do something a bit different with us.
        Odin used to do contract brewing for Airways on some of their higher volume beers, before Airways expanded their cellar...I know one of Odin's former brewers, and he was always getting asked to do odd contract work, like producing distillers wash. You might try contacting them.

Good luck!
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X