Flow meter advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow meter advice

Does anyone have a flow meter they love? We have a GPI turbine flow meter that we have had issues with recently. Multiple circuit boards have failed, and today it won't read any flow. We are considering ultrasonic and mag meters as an addition/replacement, so any advice there would be appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

Becky Rudolf
    Great North Aleworks, QA Lead
    Manchester, NH

Need more information...

You measuring water, beer, hydrofluoric acid? What temperature? At what flow rate? Indication only, or transmitter? I've installed water flowmeters in half a dozen brewhouses for precise water balance. These were Proteus brand vortex flow meters--PV6000 series. Very accurate over a broad flow rate range and temperatures. Inexpensive and durable too. Highly recommended.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

If you're replacing "circuit boards", I betting it's for high-temp use. You need to use a remote indicator for this. The electronics are separate from the sensor, so not exposed to the heat.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Remote kit for GPI

The Standard Remote Kit Assembly modifies GPI Electronic Digital Meters for applications in specialized situations including remote indication and high or low fluid temperature metering applications.

Accommodates fluid temperatures from -40F to +250F (-40C to +121C) depending on meter. This kit can upgrade an existing GPI meter or can be purchased with a new meter.

Battery powered from meter; no additional power required. 10ft. (3m) Cable, 2 conductor shielded.

This kit also provides the versatility of panel mounting of the LCD readout up to 300 ft. from the turbine housing and sensor and consists of a sensor module, a dust cover assembly and 10 ft. of cable. Requires a complete meter with display.

The Standard Remote Kit modifies GPI Electronic Digital Meters for uses such as remote indication and high or low fluid temperature metering
        Your CPE Systems Team!
        CPE Systems Inc.
        800-668-2268
        CPEsystems.com
        Thinkpumps.com
        sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

If you're just measuring water volume, a totalizer (like on a house water meter), is very accurate and reliable. The nutating disc technology is tried and true.
          WaterEng
          Engineering Consultant

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
            You measuring water, beer, hydrofluoric acid? What temperature? At what flow rate? Indication only, or transmitter? I've installed water flowmeters in half a dozen brewhouses for precise water balance. These were Proteus brand vortex flow meters--PV6000 series. Very accurate over a broad flow rate range and temperatures. Inexpensive and durable too. Highly recommended.
            Measuring water for CIP/SIP, wort during knockout. Potential use during canning runs as well. Would like something that can stand broad temp range (30-180 degrees F). Something easy to hook up, preferably with its own power source.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that particular meter.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
              If you're replacing "circuit boards", I betting it's for high-temp use. You need to use a remote indicator for this. The electronics are separate from the sensor, so not exposed to the heat.
              Thank you!

Comment

Hi Becky-

Check out the PicoMag from Endress-Hauser. It's a small sanitary mag meter.

I have used and like the GPI meters, but just for process (and CIP) water. As you noted, they don't like very hot liquids. And as others have noted, they have a remote kit for that. My main issue with the GPI meters is that they are not actually suitable for sanitary situations: so they are not really appropriate for KOs or canning (packaging) use, or transfers for that matter. The turbines have non-CIPable moving parts and crevices, and the plastic internals are not up for the caustic and acid cleaning cycles necessary for sanitary applications. The chemicals literally make the turbines fall apart.

The PicoMag needs an external power supply and relies on Bluetooth for the totalizer reset. I have found a local (New England) distributor who were able to sell me the meter, tri-clamp adaptors, and a custom made power supply that incorporates a totalizer reset button for about a grand. Considering how much we were spending repairing the GPI meters, they are paying for themselves quickly. And they don't fail (stick or blink out) like the GPIs occasionally do...

Shoot me an email at mike -at- aeronaut - dot - net and I can hook you up with my supplier.

Cheers- Mike

Comment

Endress & Hauser!

If money is no object, then the best I've used is E&H. They have a complete line for breweries, wineries, and other sanitary beverage applications. Very high quality. BTW, I've had many of the nutating disk meters crap out on me for water use. It's why I found the Proteus unit for brewhouse water application. Much more precise and much more reliable.
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                  X