Tips for replacing sanke keg spear lock ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for replacing sanke keg spear lock ring

Hi. I am helping a new brewery start up who happened to purchase USED old nasty kegs. I dont want to put my great beer in a sewer so I need to remove a few spears and inspect how well our brand new keg washer is performing. We have the depressurizing tool which makes removal easy but i am having a hard time replacing the locking snap ring. Are there any tips, tricks or secrets? Is it easier to replace with the keg depressurization tool over the hole or without? I keep bending the rings and cant get them back in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by nonagoninfinity; 04-20-2019, 09:30 AM.

Wow....lets try this again...

If your talking about this as your depressurize tool, yes it needs to be used to unload the spring to first remove the ring and then to put it back in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stempuller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	191889

Also do the next person who has to remove the ring a favor and try to position the end of the snap ring in the space were the two ears from the keg spear/valve fit it in for easier removal. Also make sure the ears are in position on the over the lower space for them to be pressed down, otherwise you will bend them up and the ring wont fit once you get it repositioned.
    Last edited by Sauce; 04-20-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

You really should have the proper training on how to maintain and rebuild kegs and spear before ripping into them. Micromatic offers free classes in some areas. You might want to contact them and see if any are offered that you could attend. Improperly installed or damaged circlips can be a safety issue for you and your customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauce View Post
        Wow....lets try this again...

If your talking about this as your depressurize tool, yes it needs to be used to unload the spring to first remove the ring and then to put it back in place.

[ATTACH]64308[/ATTACH]

Also do the next person who has to remove the ring a favor and try to position the end of the snap ring in the space were the two ears from the keg spear/valve fit it in for easier removal. Also make sure the ears are in position on the over the lower space for them to be pressed down, otherwise you will bend them up and the ring wont fit once you get it repositioned.
        Thank you very much. The tool seems to get in the way but i understand it helps depress the spear to allow enough room for the clip.
        also great tip on replacing them. Every one I am replacing has the end of the snap ring as far away from the two ears as possible.

Comment

I don't have the tool. I just use a screwdriver to remove ring after depressurizing. Then put it back in by working around ring with a set of pliers.

Cheers,

Rich DeLano

Comment

Sent you a pm.
            Steve Bradt
            Regional Sales Manager
            Micro-Matic Packaging Division
            Eastern United States and Canada
            sbradt@micro-matic.com
            785-766-1921

Comment

When using the tool shown above, be very careful! It's possible--even easy--to over-tighten that tool to the point where it deforms the outside of the keg valve, closing that little slot the retainer/safety ring goes into. Once this happens, you'll never get that ring back in.

But some new safety rings. Using a new ring is much easier than trying to re-use an old one. I use the old rings for key rings, etc.

While you have the spear out, replace all the rubber, too. You can buy new seals and o-rings from Micromatic.

Search around the forum here. There have been some excellent tutorials on rebuilding Sanke valves posted here in the past.
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
              X