Tilt Hydrometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt Hydrometer

Anybody using this doohickey (or something similar)?
    Wireless hydrometer for real-time monitoring of beer and wine fermentation. Logs temperature and specific gravity to inform on fermentation level, alcohol %, and temperature variations.

Would you recommend it?

The first thing I see are the words "Designed for homebrewers." Then I see a photo gallery of images that appear to be random pictures of beer. Do you think Coors uses these? I sure don't.

No explanation of how it's used, but it looks like it's supposed to go inside the fermenter. How well would the signal penetrate a double-walled, jacketed fermenter? How would you get it out? This means entering the fermenter at the end of the batch to remove it. We rarely if ever enter one of our fermenters for safety reasons.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

All that and...

Accuracy to +/- SG .002 is not good enough....

How well would the signal penetrate a double-walled, jacketed fermenter? How would you get it out? This means entering the fermenter at the end of the batch to remove it.

Comment

A friend / ex colleague of mine rates these in small, say 15 to 20 hl breweries. Not sure what the maximum size is he has used them in, but they save a lot of faffing about taking samples, degassing for good accuracy etc, and record the data straight onto a chart. Since I haven't use them or been to a brewery using them, I can't say any more than that, though my most local one I work with has considered getting them, but he spent the money on a pub instead!!
        dick

Comment

Cute gadget, but they tend to get gunked up with hops and yeast, which causes you to get weird readings. It uses an internal gyroscope that measures the angle that it is sitting at. Many things can affect the angle that it sits at, so you get strange readings. I wouldn't bother with it or any of the other similar things that are available.

Comment

Ooo glowing endorsements all around 😂! Yeah “gunked up” mos def steers me away. And Timm makes a good point about whether its signal cam penetrate a double wall.
            Would be nice if someone came up with a commercial-worthy equivalent though. The typeface on Hydrometer scales seems to get smaller as I get old.

Comment

They absolutely has a problem penetrating the walls of a ss tank with it's signal. Primary was also an issue, high krausen just forget about it. Not bad for just monitoring temp and grav in a secondary or aging setting. My 2 cents.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

The Easy Dens from Anton Paarhttps://www.anton-paar.com/corp-en/p...eter-easydens/ is a great option for monitoring gravity and is far far more accurate than any hydrometer for several reasons. This unit is a more bare bones unit than the DMA 35 and I think it's accuracy is .01 vs .001 but still a fantastic unit for arguably less than several of the hydrometers you linked to since you'll almost certainly ferment more than one beer at a time. Just a heads up, filtering the sample (only need about 5 mL) not only protects the sample chamber but does a great job degassing so one step sample prep! Good luck.

Comment

May I ask how you filter your samples?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure thing, I use these filters in the 15 cm size https://www.weberscientific.com/filt.../0860h-whatman and a funnel that fits them. When we were working with the demo Anton Paar units the rep suggested using some DE, (kieselguhr) mixed in with the sample then filtered but that was prep for the Alex 500 unit so probably not needed for a density or extract measurement only. I usually collect a sample in a 50 mL conical then filter in to a second 50 mL conical with the filter and funnel over it. I like the conical tube because a small volume is enough to sample gravity and has enough depth to cover my pH electrode.

Comment

Working...
                    X