EPDM hoses sanitizing and storing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPDM hoses sanitizing and storing

How do you sanitize and store your EPDM hoses?
    Do you use same hoses for production and CIP (so they clean and sanitize as you CIP)?

I have an idea to get SS bath for storing hoses in sanitize solution, but I would like to hear other experiences about this.

Cheers!

How do you sanitize and store your EPDM hoses?
    Do you use same hoses for production and CIP (so they clean and sanitize as you CIP)? Yes - this is the best way of cleaning the production hoses, as part of a CIP process - providing the CIP flow is high enough to flood and clean the pipes/hoses

I have an idea to get SS bath for storing hoses in sanitize solution, but I would like to hear other experiences about this. Use PAA, or chlorine release tablets, and change perhaps 3 times a week, particularly if using PAA
    dick

Comment

Thanks,
      so you think other no rinse sanitizer as Saniclean or Starsan is not up to the task?
      3 times a week is pretty frequent, I had something less frequently in mind.

Sent from my GM 5 d using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably absolutely fine. If I remember correctly, some of the PAA sanitisers also include the active ingredient in these as well as PAA (I am happy to be corrected, but know they include (or used to include) something similar). The three times a week is based on larger brewery experience of repeated daily insertion / removal of hoses and fittings, and the micro assessment of the soak bath solution and swabs of the equipment itself. The less frequently fittings and hoses are changed, and the cleaner they are before sinking, the less frequently you will probably have to change them.

Afraid the only way to really tell the frequency required is to carry out regular micro assessments of the equipment and soak solution as you use it, which may give considerably different results from another brewery's.
        dick

Comment

Rather than leave the hoses soaking--which takes up valuable space--we leave them packed with sanitizer (PAA) and with the ends clamped together by the TC flanges. That way we can hang them out of the way. The hoses get cleaned immediately before and after use as part of the CIP loop.

As a side note, we used to make up our own hoses using Band-its. We had a whole-house infection I finally traced down to these clamped ends. We've now gone entirely to internally-expanded ends on our product hoses and have never had a repeat of the infection. The only hoses I now make up with Band-its are our wash-down hoses, which I just replaced.

We replace our process hoses every 3-4 years now, and wash-down hoses as wear indicates.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Neat idea.
            Do you rinse PAA before use?

I have DIN fittings so it's not that simple to connect ends, I would have to have nipple coupling.

Sent from my GM 5 d using Tapatalk

Comment

You could simply drain out thoroughly, but you should then be flooding the hoses and any associated pipework with oxygen free material - CO2 or nitrogen gas purge, or towns water just about acceptable, but deaerated far better, before carrying out any transfers post fermentation, to minimise risk of oxygen pickup by the beer - to avoid diacetyl and other off flavours developing.
              dick

Comment

Working...
              X