No announcement yet.

Line Chiller leak fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chose blue for our dye as it's the same color used in the propylene glycol-based antifreeze I use in the Vanagon. It has saved my bacon a few times as I was able to instantly identify a leak.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
      This tells me It might not be glycol - could be ice melt or condensation. Dye your glycol but DONT "make it look like auto refrigerant", If I saw that id assume it was not food grade and would have to be dumped and replaced. Red or Blue is a better color, and food coloring works fine.
      You mean regular old food coloring from the grocery store? Just keep adding until you’re seeing blue? Or green? Etc?

Comment

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
        You mean regular old food coloring from the grocery store? Just keep adding until you’re seeing blue? Or green? Etc?
        Yes regular old food coloring. Water soluable. But that is easier said than done nowadays as a lot of stores have moved to a food colored gel as opposed to the ole brown bottle dropper style. Amazon is your friend of course. Just enough to make it obvious.

Chemical companies will sell “special” dye to you on the stability and fluorescent aspects. It’s expensive comparatively, but probably $40-80 to dye your glycol, so not crazy. If you want to run checks of large areas with a filtered flashlight, then fluorescence is a huge benefit.

Comment

Working...
        X