Data Analysis for QA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Analysis for QA

As a first step in ramping up a QA program, I want to do some data analysis around our brewery and try to see if there’s any meaningful insights to glean. Essentially my plan is to take all of our brew log data (phravities, yeast gen, viability, cell count, temps, yields, brewhouse performance, etc), graph this out and look for any correlations or trends that could inform new areas for QC.

Has anyone here done any of this before? Any advice?

Before I go and build out my own spreadsheets for this - does anyone potentially have one they’d be willing to share, or recommendations for other programs? We are currently using the U-Brew app for our Anton Paar, which has a sort of nice spreadsheet export function.

Thanks!

I've spent a lot of time making my own Excel sheets as has our brew master, but I'm trying to move toward Google Sheets and Google Data Studio so the data is easily shared. Google Studio and Sheets are a bit clunkier than Excel, but they do provide visualizations that Excel has issues with.

Sorry if I'm late to the party answering here. Cheers.

Comment

Hey

I would like to follow this thread as well. For the time being we are running theshow more or less in Excel... this has its pros but definitely a lot of Cons. I had considered Google sheets for the shareability but I just feel Google sheets it's so impractical and with no shortcuts and power functions...

What kind of visualizations where you thinking about that Excel cannot provide?

Cheers

Comment

@ClLangguth asks the fundamental QA/QC question- "look for any correlations or trends that could inform new areas for QC."

You can grow in to Orchestra
        https://www.orchestrasoftware.com/,

or DIY with Excel and some cool add-ins. Then, year to year, dump into Access and work up some VBA Macros, as you develop.
        For the DIY'er-
        1) DIGITIZE Every chance you get, digitize your observations.

With every instrument that measures something, see that it has some way to datalog and then export. This is getting easier with IOT connectivity, but you'll find pH meters that will not have this functionality. Don't settle. Ask for/how flow, temp, time, mass changes can be captured.

2) GRAPH with either 2 of my faves.
        I'll start with the $15 Add-In from DataBison.

This add-in will generate a RUNS Chart in Excel. See the example, and check other add-ins.

I like to work with Quality America and their $200 SPC-IV Excel Add-In package, for more charting options (Runs/Moving Average/Moving Range Charts)
        https://qualityamerica.com/spc-software/spc-iv-excel/

A little more money, but more support, too.

Statistical Process Control (SPC) Tools aside, let's expand the initial inquiry and pose these questions-

"What can I control? What are my expected outcomes? What would I like to see happen?” This is the QA part.
        “Which methods best capture the observations that I need to “see” if I have achieved my expected outcome?” The QC part.
        “We’re your friends,” said my attorney. “We’re not like the others.” HS Thompson (1937-2005)

Comment

Working...
        X