Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing alcohol based flavours into a tank

Hi,
    I've recently made a beer and I've added some alcohol based flavours into the BBT 2 days before packaging. Straight after the addiction, I've bubbled some CO2 from the bottom of the tank for about 30 sec. in order to better mix the flavour with the beer.
    After packaging I've had the feeling that the flavour was not equally distributed in the beer. It seems that some kegs have more flavour than others.

Do you have any experience in using alcohol based flavours in your beers? If so, how do you use them (timing, process, tips, ...) in order to properly mix them with the beer?

Thanks for helping

Try to set up an in-line dosing system which can deliver the flavor over the course of the transfer. A keg turned into a brink can help here. Put the flavor in the keg and fill with beer - then dose that during the transfer at a slow rate.
    PS -make sure your flavor is water soluble, some come in both water and oil soluble.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
      Try to set up an in-line dosing system which can deliver the flavor over the course of the transfer. A keg turned into a brink can help here. Put the flavor in the keg and fill with beer - then dose that during the transfer at a slow rate.
      PS -make sure your flavor is water soluble, some come in both water and oil soluble.
      Hi Ted,
      thanks for your reply.

I've checked and the flavors I'm using are water soluble.
      My issue is that most of times I cannot move the beer to a BBT and I have to do the whole process inside the unitank without moving the beer. This means that I add the flavors for the top of the tank and try to mix them bubbling CO2 from the bottom of the tank for about 1 minute.
      I can basically play with 2 factors here. Addiction temperature and addiction time.
      I have the feeling that time is a big factor here. The last time I only gave 2 days to the flavours to properly dissolve into the beer which might be not enough time. Next time, I'm going to add the flavors at least 10 days before packaging, hoping for a homogeneous result.
      I'm not sure if adding the extracts before cold crashing the beer can lead me to a better result. Any experience on this point?

Thank you for helping!

Comment

You could try recirculating the beer inside the unitank with a vfd pump. Connect the pump inlet hose to the bottom drain port and the pump outbound to the racking arm that is pointed up. Add your flavour, and GENTLY recirculate for 10-15 min. Until the flavor is homogenous.

Comment

Working...
        X