Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp setpoints for glycol chiller-range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp setpoints for glycol chiller-range?

Setting up a new ProChiller Chilstar and wondering about the acceptable range of glycol temps. I’m programming the temps with a Johnson A421. We have been advised to run the glycol at 27deg. The controller was set to turn “off” at 27 and “on” at 28, meaning the condenser and pump were cycling on/off frequently or constantly running. Have experimented with setting the “on” temp at 30deg to get the pump from cycling quite so often, but I’m unsure what is an acceptable range for my two setpoints. Any guidance?

Also, the pipe insulation is planned to be installed today and I assume that will go a long way toward keeping the glycol temps at a better constant. Please advise, and thanks!

You are on the right track and will just need to play with the settings to find the settings that work best for your applications. I think setting the unit to come on at 30 and off at 27 F is a good place to start.

You can also reach out to our tech support team via email at techsupport@prorefrigeration.com or by calling in at 800-845-7781, the technicians will also provide assistance.

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen
    Pro Refrigeration, Inc
    Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

jim@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

A larger cold glycol reservoir will also help prevent short-cycling.

A Johnson A421 is not a very good choice for fermenter temp control. It's crude, at best. You should be using PID controllers, with platinum RTD probes in your tanks.

I use the Johnson controllers for lots of things around the brewery where approximate temperature control is OK. Our ferms and brights all run off Fuji PID units.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        A larger cold glycol reservoir will also help prevent short-cycling.

A Johnson A421 is not a very good choice for fermenter temp control. It's crude, at best. You should be using PID controllers, with platinum RTD probes in your tanks.

I use the Johnson controllers for lots of things around the brewery where approximate temperature control is OK. Our ferms and brights all run off Fuji PID units.
        Johnson controller is on Glycol unit

Comment

Cool. I think I figured that out after I wrote the reply.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X