Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Canning Line Length

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    238

    Canning Line Length

    I just started to do some super small scale canning on an Xpressfill 2 head canner. Iíve had some decent luck but Iíve also gotten my ass kicked on a few canning runs. Seems to be having huge foaming issues no matttet what I do with pressure.

    I am using 15ft of 1/4Ē line directly from the brite tank to the filler. Anybody have any recommendations on line length. Is this something I should increase the line length to reduce some of this foaming.

    Any info is appreciated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calmar Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    89
    What temperature is the beer in the brite at? The colder the better. And what vol. Of co2? Sounds to me like it might be warming up in the line on the way to the canner causing co2 brake out. Maybe try insulating the line or better yet refrigerate it all the way to the machine. Maybe do your packaging inside a cold room?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
    I just started to do some super small scale canning on an Xpressfill 2 head canner. Iíve had some decent luck but Iíve also gotten my ass kicked on a few canning runs. Seems to be having huge foaming issues no matttet what I do with pressure.

    I am using 15ft of 1/4Ē line directly from the brite tank to the filler. Anybody have any recommendations on line length. Is this something I should increase the line length to reduce some of this foaming.

    Any info is appreciated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are you using to sanitize your cans?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pivo View Post
    What temperature is the beer in the brite at? The colder the better. And what vol. Of co2? Sounds to me like it might be warming up in the line on the way to the canner causing co2 brake out. Maybe try insulating the line or better yet refrigerate it all the way to the machine. Maybe do your packaging inside a cold room?
    Brite is at 32 now. Iím now trying to make some changes to try to get it lower than that. I just tried using a bucket of ice with the lines running through it. That actually worked a little better.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    640
    I think your line size is your problem. 15' of line, that depending on what kind it is will loose .5 to .65 psi per foot of pressure from friction losses. Thats 7.5 psi or more drop during filling. If you keep your head pressure at a point less than 7.5 + saturation pressure, then you will have breakout in the lines. I would suggest using a larger line of brewers hose for as much as possible. They are thicker material which is more insulative, plus you have more beer volume in the line which will have more heat holding capacity(this means it wont warm up as fast). I would go for a 1" line, then you will have almost no pressure drop and better thermal properties. If you need that line length for the pressure drop, you are better off doing flow control as close to the point of dispense as possible in filling scenarios.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by jebzter View Post
    I think your line size is your problem. 15' of line, that depending on what kind it is will loose .5 to .65 psi per foot of pressure from friction losses. Thats 7.5 psi or more drop during filling. If you keep your head pressure at a point less than 7.5 + saturation pressure, then you will have breakout in the lines. I would suggest using a larger line of brewers hose for as much as possible. They are thicker material which is more insulative, plus you have more beer volume in the line which will have more heat holding capacity(this means it wont warm up as fast). I would go for a 1" line, then you will have almost no pressure drop and better thermal properties. If you need that line length for the pressure drop, you are better off doing flow control as close to the point of dispense as possible in filling scenarios.
    Thanks so much for this. That actually makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Iíll make some hose changes and see what I can come out with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •