Heating element thread seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating element thread seal?

Hey guys, we have a Glo Quartz 18k watt threaded heating element for our 15 bbl HLT, I was wondering what any of you guys with similar setups were using for sealing these threads on the body of the element going into the HLT? Is there a special putty that we need to use on these elements that can handle the CIP and heat for periods of time without leaking? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Lemanster View Post
    Hey guys, we have a Glo Quartz 18k watt threaded heating element for our 15 bbl HLT, I was wondering what any of you guys with similar setups were using for sealing these threads on the body of the element going into the HLT? Is there a special putty that we need to use on these elements that can handle the CIP and heat for periods of time without leaking? Thanks in advance!
    I've replaced a few brewery heating elements and I don't remember having to use any thread sealant on any of them. They should have soft metal on the threads that will deform and seal when tight.

Have you tried really wrenching on it to get it tight?

Comment

I'd want some form of anti-seize on there....

Comment

Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
        I've replaced a few brewery heating elements and I don't remember having to use any thread sealant on any of them. They should have soft metal on the threads that will deform and seal when tight.

Have you tried really wrenching on it to get it tight?
        Thanks, this is good to know. We have not tried wrenching on it too tight as we were afraid to damage the unit, and it needs to be clocked at a certain direction, so if you go too far, you have to all the way around again, tightening it even more...

I did just give Glo Quartz a call and they said to use a lot of teflon tape on the threads...

Comment

screwplug heaters

Originally posted by Lemanster View Post
          Hi,
          You can use an 18KW screwplug heater (https://www.wattco.com/product_categ...-plug-heaters/) that comes with a mechanical thermostat. No special putty needed because the ss316 bushing is tapered and threaded (but it can't hurt).
          For bigger tanks, you can use a flanged heater. These can come with a thermocouple and conrol panel to regulate temp as accurate as 1 degree...Hope this helps!

Comment

I used teflon tape as per Glo Quartz suggestion, and so far so good. no leak at all. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X