Switching brewery hose for Stainless tube 1 1/2TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching brewery hose for Stainless tube 1 1/2TC

I want to replace some of our brewers hose For 1 1/2 inch stainless tube with TC. 3bbl 3 kettle system. Kettles are 1 1/2tube size TC. I’d like to minimize wort loss, so any problem going 3/4 or 1” on the tube size?
    And drawbacks to using SS tubing w/TC and gaskets. Besides having to disassemble and clean the gaskets?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by BigBBrew; 07-22-2019, 09:35 PM.

Hey Brian, If done properly, no issues in switching from brewers hose to piping. Consider the design - try to eliminate or minimize any 90 degree turns where things may get hung up. How long is the distance? Depending on the length, you may need some supports for the piping so that it doesn't sag and create a low point for water or other things to collect. Make sure that this new piping is included in your CIP circuit so that it will get cleaned. Gaskets and TC's are sanitary. Choose the right type of gasket for your products and then set up a schedule to change the gaskets on a regular basis. Don't over-tighten the triclamps. You can buy various torque tools that can help prevent people from over tightening the TC's.

Feel free to email if you have any additional questions,
    Mimi

Originally posted by BigBBrew View Post
    I want to replace some of our brewers hose For 1 1/2 inch stainless tube with TC. 3bbl 3 kettle system. Kettles are 1 1/2tube size TC. I’d like to minimize wort loss, so any problem going 3/4 or 1” on the tube size?
    And drawbacks to using SS tubing w/TC and gaskets. Besides having to disassemble and clean the gaskets?

Thanks,
    Brian
    M.G. Newell Corporation
    336.404.1375 cell
    sales@mgnewell.com

Comment

Originally posted by MG_Newell View Post
      Hey Brian, If done properly, no issues in switching from brewers hose to piping. Consider the design - try to eliminate or minimize any 90 degree turns where things may get hung up. How long is the distance? Depending on the length, you may need some supports for the piping so that it doesn't sag and create a low point for water or other things to collect. Make sure that this new piping is included in your CIP circuit so that it will get cleaned. Gaskets and TC's are sanitary. Choose the right type of gasket for your products and then set up a schedule to change the gaskets on a regular basis. Don't over-tighten the triclamps. You can buy various torque tools that can help prevent people from over tightening the TC's.

Feel free to email if you have any additional questions,
      Mimi
      Thanks for the advice. I will need to add some supports and i am going to limit the 90's.

Comment

This is one of the best things you can do to improve sanitation and efficiency in the brewhouse.

Be absolutely sure whoever you have do the work is certified in sanitary welding. Almost any welder will tell you they can do it, but if they don't have the creds, they can't, and you'll have hard-piping that cannot be cleaned. All butt-welds must be 100% penetration; perfectly smooth inside and out.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Agree with the other comments, but you also need to change any remaining hoses to the same size - no more than one inch. 1.5 inch pipework and hoses are unhygienically large for anything microbrewery up to about 30 hl size. 3/4 inch would be fine for this size of kit, but you may have problems finding suitable comparable hoses and fittings, so is probably easier to stick to one inch.
          dick

Comment

Thank you for the ideas on tube size and the welder. I am going to start with a few areas on the hot side first. (This is going to be hard to follow)

All connections are 1.5" TC. Dimensions are tube diameter.

Kettle - 1.5 outlet to 1.5 pump inlet, 3/4" pump outlet to 3/4" Tee w/2 valves,#1 to 3/4" W/P port, #2 3/4" to 1.5 to HX inlet.

I will use TC clamps and gaskets and disassemble every couple of batches.

Thanks Again,
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X