Yeast transfer hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast transfer hose?

What is the best hose for yeast transfer?

Currently, and for many years past, we have used 3/4" ID clear, sanitary vinyl tubing, use once and discard. As we ramp up production, this is getting to be a lot of hose.

Our previous owner instituted this process, as he did not believe that a yeast transfer hose could be sterilized sufficiently.

What so you all use, and how do you sterilize it? It seems to me that if we can get our hoses clean and sanitary enough for beer transfer, they should be good for yeast, but I'm just the mechanical guy.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Our harvest/pitch rig.

I like to use .5" vintner type 725 line and set apart a dedicated harvest/pitch rig w/ 2-1.5" butterfly valve w/ a 1" sight glass and the vintner hose between.
    We run caustic through the rig after use, store in detergent after and heat sanitize prior to use.
    We use separate rigs for different yeast and HLP always comes out clear.

Salud.

Comment

Heat is your friend

As Soul said, use heat to sanitize.

As a side note, it's curious that one would say it's impossible to sanitize a yeast hose, and then transfer wort/beer via hoses.

Comment

We use vintner hose with the 3a sanitary crimped on ends for all product and yeast transfer. Easy to clean and sanitize.
        Last edited by TonyT; 07-25-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Small diameter brewery hose - flex-rite, purple snake or equivalent quality with manufacture supplied swaged ends. These will cope with PAA or steam, or 85 deg C hot water for sanitisation. I think we have even used autoclaves for lab culture pitching into culture vessels - but don't hold me to that. Expensive, but treated carefully, they should last for years. As always, it is the repeated kinking that damages the lining, especially at the ends of the swaged tails.
          dick

Comment

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'll pass this on to the brewers. Changing brewhouse/ferm hall practices takes a while....
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
              Small diameter brewery hose - flex-rite, purple snake or equivalent quality with manufacture supplied swaged ends. These will cope with PAA or steam, or 85 deg C hot water for sanitisation. I think we have even used autoclaves for lab culture pitching into culture vessels - but don't hold me to that. Expensive, but treated carefully, they should last for years. As always, it is the repeated kinking that damages the lining, especially at the ends of the swaged tails.
              I like this. But I usually opt for platinum or silver cured silicone tubing and a TC hose barb that I can remove each use. You should be able to autoclave it, hot liquor, or use PAA and achieve a sufficient level of sanitization for yeast handling. Auto clave will be sterilized, obviously, but it will eventually cause the tubing to become a bit sticky. It should then be replaced. Iodine will stain it.

PAA soak for 12-24 hours @ 165 or more ppm is my preferred method for sake of ease. PAA is extremely effective with extended soaking periods, even at extremely low concentrations (5-10ppm). The price point on silicone makes a balance for replacement that makes sense to me. Swagged hoses are pricey (but this is the best, IMHO). I like sizing the silicone smaller to prevent the “Volcano” of pulling through the cake, and mixing the settled yeast. Prefer to dump early flocs, harvest middle yeast, and dump late flocs myself.

Comment

Working...
              X