Harvesting yeast from a kettle sour??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting yeast from a kettle sour??

We're going to make a smaller beer using 3522 Belgian Ardennes Yeast for harvesting to use for a Belgian Strong (we've used this method before and it worked great). We are thinking of making the kettle sour for the first batch. Has anyone found any issues harvesting a kettle sour yeast for another non-sour beer? Thanks
    Cheers
    Jon Berens
    Owner/ Head Brewer
    Neptune's Brewery
    Livingston, MT
    jon@neptunesbrewery.com

I've never had good luck with it so we don't even try any more. The low ph kettle sour is a pretty stressful environment for the yeast. When re pitching we have experienced long lag times, poor viability and poor attenuation. And to try to re pitch into what will become a high alcohol environment would be to move the yeast from one high stressor to another. I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

I've pitched from a kettle sour into an average-strength beer destined to barrel age with Brett and Pedio, and had great results - strong fermentation, expected attenuation, etc.
      The base beer before adding Brett and Pedio did have some tart-fruity notes in common with the kettle sour, that aren't typical of the primary yeast strain. Maybe due to the small amt of beer in the slurry, but it was more noticeable than I would have expected.

I've never tried repitching into a "clean" beer and personally I probably wouldn't, especially a Belgian Strong where good attenuation is so important.
      Last edited by GoldenArm; 07-31-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

As others have mentioned, the low pH is a significant stress factor and could reduce performance after harvest and re-pitch.

From our R&D program we have observed strain specific differences related to fermentation performance in sour wort. Higher lactic acid concentrations tend to inhibit maltotriose metabolism resulting in reduced attenuation. But for maltotriose negative strains (i.e. Lallemand London or Windsor) we don't see any difference at all for attenuation or fermentation speed even up to 1% lactic acid. We haven't yet tested this for re-pitching, but I expect that maltotriose negative strains would likely perform well when re-pitching from sour fermentations.
        Lallemand is a global leader in the development, production and marketing of yeast, bacteria and specialty ingredients.

Comment

Working...
        X