Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with Incognito Extract (Haas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with Incognito Extract (Haas)

I was wondering what, if any, experiences you all have had with the Incognito extracts (made by Haas) and how it compares to other CO2 extracts? The extracts are variety specific and their info sheet claims it enhances/contributes hop flavor and aroma rather than just IBUs.

The crux of my question is that our IPA sales are far out-pacing projections and our hop contracts so we need to find a way to make up about ~2100lbs of Citra for this year alone....or buy a bunch of Citra among others if anyone is selling at a reasonable price.

My understanding of other high AA CO2 extracts is that they were primarily for replacing bitter hops. We are like most people today and use very little in terms of bittering charges and almost exclusively are adding these at FO/WP/DH so if this could replace some to all of our hot side additions that would be awesome. However, I have never personally used any of these extract products and am hoping to get some insight into the viability of their flavor/aroma claims before making and educated guess on how or if to use them in the first test batch as it will likely be 90 or 120bbl based on our production schedule!

Thanks in advance.

You ever try this stuff? We are interested due to the ability to flavor while stopping huge kettle losses. Be interested to hear actual experience from someone

Comment

Update here. Its sticky and messy as hell. And a way to dose it into wort would probably be a good idea. We poured it straight in and some stuck to kettle, some stayed floating on top, but some definitely dispersed. Aroma was great. Has held very well.

A few things to be concerned about- the main one is dispersion. There really should be a way to get it into wort. We are trying to figure out how to get it into a pump via our brewhouse manifold. Not easy.

The reasons

Obviously any on the walls or floating on top aren’t likely to end up in the beer. Less impact, wasted money.

We criminally underpitched this batch in a trial with a kveik type yeast. Not the first time we’ve done that, but this time it was an issue. Based on what came out of the tank, the extract bound up with our yeast and dropped them out of action. Very weird. Very slow ferment. Had to pitch us05 to finish.

So again, figuring out a dispersal method should be high on the priority list. Getting it into the pump head seems like a good idea. Just pouring into kettle during whirlpool seems less than ideal. Ymmv.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I've also looked at this stuff. If you have additional findings, please post.

Comment

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
          Update here. Its sticky and messy as hell. And a way to dose it into wort would probably be a good idea. We poured it straight in and some stuck to kettle, some stayed floating on top, but some definitely dispersed. Aroma was great. Has held very well.

A few things to be concerned about- the main one is dispersion. There really should be a way to get it into wort. We are trying to figure out how to get it into a pump via our brewhouse manifold. Not easy.

The reasons

Obviously any on the walls or floating on top aren’t likely to end up in the beer. Less impact, wasted money.

We criminally underpitched this batch in a trial with a kveik type yeast. Not the first time we’ve done that, but this time it was an issue. Based on what came out of the tank, the extract bound up with our yeast and dropped them out of action. Very weird. Very slow ferment. Had to pitch us05 to finish.

So again, figuring out a dispersal method should be high on the priority list. Getting it into the pump head seems like a good idea. Just pouring into kettle during whirlpool seems less than ideal. Ymmv.
          We just did our first run with Incognito. Try mixing it into some hot wort before dumping into the whirlpool.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Malted View Post
            We just did our first run with Incognito. Try mixing it into some hot wort before dumping into the whirlpool.
            Yeah, i actually read the whole info sheet this time and that was the second method they note. We just dumped it straight. Obviously not great mixing. Did you guys still get a bit of a slick/oil blobs on the surface, or was premixing enough to really disperse it pretty well?

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Malted View Post

What are your thoughts on the flavor and aroma contribution it brought compared to pellets? And how much did you end up dosing into the WP in g/bbl?

Comment

I have a hop back which has a removable slotted false bottom and a tangential port. I'm going to try this with Citra and/or Mosaic. I'm also doing some experiments with hop tea instead of whirlpool additions. That way, I can whirlpool and then go through the HX to the unitank on top of the hop tea which will already be cooled.

Comment

arent you concerned about the dilution effect of adding it as a tea instead of directly to wort?

Comment

It is all an experiment. But a couple of gallons of concentrated hop tea hopefully won't make too much of a difference. My hop back can be pressurized and I'd like to take advantage of that. I'm thinking I'll make the tea in the hop back using a hop bag on top of the slotted false bottom and pressurize it. Transferring to a unitank under pressure. it could wind up being a huge cluster-fudge but that won't be the first time.

Comment

interesting. please report back. my takeaway is still that this stuff needs some serious mixing to get full usage/disbursement and it'd be interesting to see if that can be achieved at such a small volume (i.e. less dilution, higher concentration vs kettle)

Comment

Working...
                      X