Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading Van from a Loading Dock

Hi folks-

We do a small amount of local self distribution with a Sprinter van. We currently use a keg jockey (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!) to load the van out in front of our building.

Our landlord has decided that we will no longer have vehicle access to the front of the building. We do have a loading dock that we use for receiving and sending out palletized kegs and cans through our main distributor.

Unfortunately, it is a major, major pain in the ass to load kegs into a Sprinter van from a loading dock. It involves manhandling (personhandling?) the kegs manually off the dock. This is a super drag; both for the health and safety of our employees (most important) and wear and tear on the van.

Does anyone have a clever or elegant solution for loading kegs into a van from a dock? I am thinking of some kind of ramp or a modified dock plate (the landlord is offering to replace one of the docks with something more appropriate if we find something reasonable.) One option floated is some sort of scissor lift that will bring them to the ground from the dock, but that means that we will still have to lift them into the van. My main goal here is to minimize the amount of lifting for the drivers/loaders.

So does anyone have a good system that they would like to share?

Thanks and cheers- Mike

Re: Loading Van from a Loading Dock

Hey Mike,

I would try raising the level of your van. I did this pretty successfully at Sasquatch Brewery with some scrap lumber. We backed up the van to raise the back end to be level with loading dock. Here is a link to something straight from the store to model off if building DIY. https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-119...41852231&psc=1

Let me know if you need anything to help make the beer.

Cheers,

Mike Paladino
    Brewery Design Consultant
    Stout Tanks and Kettles, LLC
    The Craft Brewery Experts
    503-372-9580 (Office)
    503-766-3206 (Direct)

FOR GENERAL SALES AND SUPPORT QUESTIONS,

ORDER CHANGES, ETC., PLEASE CONTACT:

SUPPORT@STOUTTANKS.COM
    Last edited by StoutTanksMike; 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Scissor lift from harbor freight. Could mod it with a platform on top.
      Amazing deals on this 6000Lb Scissor Lift at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

What is the difference between dock and van?
        Can you drive forklift outside and load the van that way?
        Do you have more then one dock bay?

Comment

Straight truck

Trade the sprinter in for a straight truck. Straight trucks can hold more beer and you can pallet jack right on to the truck. Loading docks are awesome

Comment

Working...
          X