Whirlpooling in a combo mash/boil kettle with agitator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpooling in a combo mash/boil kettle with agitator

I see this configuration in some german brewhouses where there are two vessels, one steam jacketed mash/boil kettle with an agitator and baffles and one lauter tun with rakes. My question is whether it is possible or even effective to whirlpool in the kettle. While I think you could feasibly spin the wort using the agitator, the baffles make it as turbulent as possible, which I suspect would disrupt the trub. Not to mention the turbulence from stopping the agitator. Does anyone run a brewhouse like this or know how folks operate them without a separate WP vessel?
    Thank you.

I have this setup. The wort does whirlpool, but when you stop the paddles you get a blanket of trub on the bottom, instead of a trub pile. You get reduced yeilds on your final product due to loss in the kettle, it is really bad for IPA's with a lot of hops added to the boil. I have brewed a few 2x IPA"s and used hop extract at the bittering addition, and this helps.

Jim Lieb
    Rocky River Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Lieb View Post
      I have this setup. The wort does whirlpool, but when you stop the paddles you get a blanket of trub on the bottom, instead of a trub pile. You get reduced yeilds on your final product due to loss in the kettle, it is really bad for IPA's with a lot of hops added to the boil. I have brewed a few 2x IPA"s and used hop extract at the bittering addition, and this helps.

Jim Lieb
      Rocky River Brewing Co.
      Thank you for the info! This confirms what I suspected. Glad to hear it's not impossible to work with though.

Comment

tanks

Hi

W e can make a 2 vessel system LT and WP/Kettle/Mash . The mash paddles lift up so they do not affect the whirlpool

thanks

wayne@ripleystainless.com
        1-250-494-9310 ext 103

Comment

Working...
        X