2 bbl unitank manway gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 bbl unitank manway gasket

So I had a hell of a brew day the other day. Started off by tearing my manway gasket, super gluing it back together then with the assistance of four other people and 40 mins later I was able to get my 2 bbl unitank sealed. I'm in need of advise on tricks to get stubborn gaskets on my tank in less time and less people. The manway is at the top of the tank and the gasket has a squared bottom that is just slightly too fat to rest easily in the squared groove. If I manage to get onside in it will pop out once I attempt to push in the other side. no way to hold the gasket in place and close the lid with only two hands. I was thinking clamps of some sort, tape ( but then how to get it off ) warming my gasket up and stretching it. I'll take just about any advise here. Thank you.

I was gonna suggest Star-San to lubricate the gasket, which works really well for getting square gaskets into channels, before I read all the way through your post. Sounds like your gasket isn't the right size. Manway gaskets shouldn't be popping out of their channels. You might want to take some measurements and see if you can't get something that fits better. It will stretch over time, but depending on the material, that might not be enough. Any sort of tape will either not be sanitary, or will interfere with the seal. I know some brewers that decided to affix the seal to the manway with silicone caulking, but I was always worried about sanitation, not being able to remove the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by spetrovits View Post
      I was gonna suggest Star-San to lubricate the gasket, which works really well for getting square gaskets into channels, before I read all the way through your post. Sounds like your gasket isn't the right size. Manway gaskets shouldn't be popping out of their channels. You might want to take some measurements and see if you can't get something that fits better. It will stretch over time, but depending on the material, that might not be enough. Any sort of tape will either not be sanitary, or will interfere with the seal. I know some brewers that decided to affix the seal to the manway with silicone caulking, but I was always worried about sanitation, not being able to remove the seal.
      I think your right that they are not the right size gasket. The unitanks have a square channel, the gaskets are squared on one side and rounded on the other, neither way I lay it allows for it to fit unless I stretch it so I ordered new gaskets. Do you mean that these brewers used silicon caulking only and no gasket?

Comment

No, they used the seal, but they used silicone caulking as an adhesive to keep the seal in the channel.

Comment

2bbl gaskets

Maybe i coud find some spare for you from our stock. if you can send me your manway size and picture.

Comment

I have only removed one manway gasket on our system (3bbl brite) and replaced it thus far but it did require some finesse while installing it into the square channel. you basically need to stretch it just enough as you go so you have enough but not extra material at the end.. luckly these dont need to be replaced often.
            Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-14-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X