Beer Smith & 2bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Smith & 2bbl

Does anyone have a generic 2bbl system profile built in Beer Smith yet? I need to scale up my 5gal recipes in preparation for a 2bbl system...

I doubt there is something generic that will match your system exactly. You should be able to dial things in with 1 or 2 brews, though. It's easy enough to measure the deadspace and losses. The hardest part is measuring the boiloff rate, which involves boiling at your intended vigor for the durations you plan to use and measuring. It's really pretty easy. I haven't used the scaling feature. I manually scale based on percentages of ingredients and a little trial and error. The first couple brews we did, we used forgiving recipes and designed for a middle of the road starting gravity, so that if we were a little high or a little low, it was still in the range that we wanted. On my 3BBL kettle, I see 3.5 gal/hr boiloff rate, for example. I have about 2.5 gal of deadspace on the kettle and about the same on my mash tun. I hope that helps.

Comment

It really all depends on the system and specifics like mill crush gap.. we use beersmith with our 3bbl electrice sungood kettles and custom rims and have it dialed in at 85% efficiency but I know a fellow brewer with the same kettles only a herms and he averages closer to 75% likely due to a variety of reasons. we brewed our first beer with an expectancy of 80% and hit 87.. adjusted from there. and the beer became a higher abv blond ale than we anticipated.

Comment

Same boat as augiedoggy. We've been playing around with the numbers and are getting closer to predictable. Measuring the actual equipment losses and actual boiloff probably had the biggest effect for us. We had the mill gap pretty dialed already for our pilot system. Adjusting the gap a little either way hasn't made much of a difference. We see 93% efficiency on the pilot system and were at 86% on our brew from Saturday on the big system. I was able to gather more boiloff data, so we should be closer to 93% on the next one. The last thing I need to do is add a sample port between the mash tun and kettle so I can measure what the gravity is at the end of sparge. I don't have a reliable way to measure this now. Another thing we have been doing is diluting in the kettle if we blow past our predicted numbers.

Comment

I actually have the upgraded slotted bottom false bottom on order along with some unitanks from sungood. We had to make our crush courser than on our pilot system which netted us 91% efficiency due to grain going through and into the rims and pump head. I have also temporarily started covering our existing false bottom with nylon mesh to improve the filtering capability until we get the new false bottom.

So as you can see OP there are a lot a variables that will come into play when designing the equipment profile and efficiency. I would just aim for like 80% on your first batch and adjust from there.

We have found that there are going to be other differences like grain and yeast substitutions that While they made sense on a home brewing scale, do not make sense financially when scaled up. For example some strains of liquid yeast would cost us a few hundred dollars to brew one batch. So we have gone to a different comparable yeast strain.

Comment

Do you use the Stout 2bbl ?

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
            I actually have the upgraded slotted bottom false bottom on order along with some unitanks from sungood. We had to make our crush courser than on our pilot system which netted us 91% efficiency due to grain going through and into the rims and pump head. I have also temporarily started covering our existing false bottom with nylon mesh to improve the filtering capability until we get the new false bottom.

So as you can see OP there are a lot a variables that will come into play when designing the equipment profile and efficiency. I would just aim for like 80% on your first batch and adjust from there.

We have found that there are going to be other differences like grain and yeast substitutions that While they made sense on a home brewing scale, do not make sense financially when scaled up. For example some strains of liquid yeast would cost us a few hundred dollars to brew one batch. So we have gone to a different comparable yeast strain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X