Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Aged Stout possible infection?

Hi all
    So I work with bourbon barrels a lot & have never had any issues with infection. I recently switched to a different distillery to try out a new bourbon barrel. The beer is a stout brewed with lactose & strawberry puree. I did age it on cocoa nibs for about 10 days prior to barreling the beer. It has now been in the barrel for about 2 months & I just checked it out to see how its doing when I noticed it has a white film & bubbles on the top layer of beer. I am pretty sure this is some sort of infection but the beer really has not taken any off flavors or aromas as of now. My brite tank is currently full otherwise I would transfer the beer out of the barrel. Any ideas as to what I am dealing with? Possible that the barrel caused this or just relax & drink a beer? LOL
    Thanks
    Last edited by Abrowne0001; 08-31-2019, 06:36 PM.

Acetic acid bacteria?? (acetobacter)
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      Acetic acid bacteria?? (acetobacter)

That's what I'm thinking but the beer doesn't taste off. Just has the funky layer of slime.

Comment

Could also be some form of wild yeast - forgot that some of these also form a film (pellicle)

You may get abnormal flavours (possibly acetic acid but depends on yeast type and conditions) and cloudy beer. Often over attenuates.
        dick

Comment

Do you have a picture of the pellicle? The source could (possibly) be narrowed down based off the morphology.

Eddie
          Eddie

Founder, Brewmaster, Yeast Wrangler, Quality Control, ...

Faces Brewing Co. Malden, MA (April 2020)

Comment

Originally posted by Abrowne0001 View Post
            Hi all
            So I work with bourbon barrels a lot & have never had any issues with infection. I recently switched to a different distillery to try out a new bourbon barrel. The beer is a stout brewed with lactose & strawberry puree. I did age it on cocoa nibs for about 10 days prior to barreling the beer. It has now been in the barrel for about 2 months & I just checked it out to see how its doing when I noticed it has a white film & bubbles on the top layer of beer. I am pretty sure this is some sort of infection but the beer really has not taken any off flavors or aromas as of now. My brite tank is currently full otherwise I would transfer the beer out of the barrel. Any ideas as to what I am dealing with? Possible that the barrel caused this or just relax & drink a beer? LOL
            Thanks
            I have a barrel just like that.

What did you end up doing?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X