Spray sanitizing sample port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray sanitizing sample port

Curious what no rise sanitizer you use on your sample port before you take a sample. Using Iso just makes the entire sample taste like Iso. Have used Star San but not sure that is strong enough.

Thanks for any info.

I use starsan in a spray bottle and let it sit for a while before pouring. As long as you use the correct concentration and wait for some contact time, I think you should be ok.

Comment

Your methodology is wrong if your sample tastes/smells like iso. You have a couple easy answers here. Iso is probably best, but I keep sprayers of Iso and PAA @ 160ppm+

First, spray with iso and then simply beer rinse your port & container to remove any iso and not dilute your sample.

Second, (my preference) would be to spray with iso and them flame off with MAP/propane torch. Same as you might do to take a sterile sample.

Comment

Your best option is to replace the stop-cock style sampling valves with the new bonnet-style ones from Perlick. The stop-cock has too much potential to introduce bugs into your fermenter, and will eventually gall and seize up. The Pelick bonnet valves are completely and easily rebuildable.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

You aren't running enough beer out if you're getting isopropanol in your samples. You can't expect a representative sample if you aren't flushing 5-10 sec worth of beer through before sampling. Doesn't matter if you're aseptically sampling or just sampling for taste.

Comment

Working...
          X