Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice for harvesting from fruit beers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice for harvesting from fruit beers?

Looking to harvest from some of my fruited beers. I will generally add the fruit when the beer is 1-2° from terminal gravity. Should I?

1) Crash, harvest, and pitch as usual
    2) Let the beer reach terminal, soft crash, harvest, then fruit expecting enough yeast in suspension to ferment the fruit completely

Cheers

Unless you're using aseptic puree, I would definitely stay away from harvesting after adding the fruit, and even then I wouldn't want to harvest unless absolutely necessary except if I was doing a second fruited beer afterwards.
    Peter Landman | Brewmaster | Seabright Brewery | Santa Cruz, CA

Comment

Originally posted by xFutballFanx View Post
      Unless you're using aseptic puree, I would definitely stay away from harvesting after adding the fruit, and even then I wouldn't want to harvest unless absolutely necessary except if I was doing a second fruited beer afterwards.
      Makes sense. I solely use aseptic puree here and usually add it during when there is about 2°P left in fermentation. I let this beer attenuate completely and then soft crashed, harvested, and added the fruit. Adds a couple days but I need get good clean yeast to repitch.

Comment

Working...
      X