Thread: 1-bbl nano brewery in a shipping container?

1-bbl nano brewery in a shipping container?

For some time now I have been trying to figure out a way to make my dream a reality with low costs and using the brewing equipment I already have. An idea that occurred to me was starting in a shipping container on a small open plot. I would need the shipping container to be able to open so I could bring the brewhouse outside to brew and when it's closed to be able to maintain a steady 70 df all year round. The goal would be to mainly do whole sale with occasional tastings at the brewery when a new beer is released. How feasible is this to do? Has anyone else looked at doing a model like this and what did you find?

Hi, Kyle. We may be able to help you. Pop me an email and we can get our conversation started.
    _
    Jeremy King, Brewery Design Consultant, Experienced Commercial Brewer
    Craft Kettle Brewing Equipment
    New Orleans, LA
    jeremy.king@craftkettle.com
    o 855.953.8853 | d 504.930.4462 | c 763.528.1352

You have to have physical address and building for the brewery. As they say “you can have it on the boat, you can not have it in the mote”.

Before you spend any dollar, fully understand licensing requirements. Operating brewery is not easy or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserKyle View Post
    For some time now I have been trying to figure out a way to make my dream a reality with low costs and using the brewing equipment I already have. An idea that occurred to me was starting in a shipping container on a small open plot. I would need the shipping container to be able to open so I could bring the brewhouse outside to brew and when it's closed to be able to maintain a steady 70 df all year round. The goal would be to mainly do whole sale with occasional tastings at the brewery when a new beer is released. How feasible is this to do? Has anyone else looked at doing a model like this and what did you find?
    You can do it, if you can get it licensed. Is your current system electric or gas? Electric with a steam condenser would be nice so you don't have to move it in and out. Hook up a mini-split AC and vent it properly and you can keep it whatever temp you want if you add some insulation and simple walls. Tile floor with slopped drainage floor cold be achieved. You could even insulate one end of the unit with a coolbot and a window unit and have a cold room for storage. They make high cube containers that have plenty of head room.

"if I can get it licensed"

"if I can get it licensed" that's a big part of the the equation here. I'm in Pennsylvania btw. For the brewhouse I'd probably prefer to just brew outdoors with a cover over top and even store it in a shed then just plug it into the shipping container for power. This way there is more room for grain storage and fermentation

re: Operating brewery is not easy or cheap

You have to have physical address and building for the brewery.

-I'm aware. the permits and licensing are tied to a physical location.

Before you spend any dollar, fully understand licensing requirements. Operating brewery is not easy or cheap.

-Yes, that's why I'm here trying to gather information.