Harvesting from Neipa styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting from Neipa styles

Ive been helping brew at a 7bbl brewery for a couple months. We're trying to improve our neipa (hazy IPA) and believe the next step is changing the yeast.
    The owners are quite cost conscious and don't want to drop $400 on yeast for a single batch. We are currently adding the first dry hop charge (15lbs) on day 2 of fermentation to get the biotransformation effect.

Does anyone have suggestions for harvesting the yeast from these types of beers with the obsured amount of hops that would be present in the slurry?

We currently take off a couple gallons into a modified 5gal corny keg for re-pitching

Check out this discussion about harvesting yeast from dry hopped beers:

Keep in mind that while dry hops do inhibit microbial growth they are definitely NOT sterile. If you harvest yeast from dry hopped beers you increase the risk of wild yeast and bacteria. We have had customers with diastaticus overattenuation problems in the brewery that we eventually traced back to wild diastaticus yeast on the dry hops.

While it is possible to do and will save a bit of money, I personally would not recommend it due to the risk of contamination and increased variability of the final product. For the sake of a nice consistent fermentation, use fresh yeast for NEIPAs.

If you are interested in trying the Lallemand New England strain, send me a PM and I will make sure you get a sample for a trial.
    Lallemand is a global leader in the development, production and marketing of yeast, bacteria and specialty ingredients.

Comment

have you tried safale S-33 dried yeast?
      It is much less expensive and easy to use. I think it was about $90 for a brick at chrles faram

Comment

Yes we were looking into s-33 as well. We were a little concerned seeing as they also recommend using it for Belgian beers. We didn't want any of that Belgian character in the neipa

Comment

Originally posted by Toelke1 View Post
          Ive been helping brew at a 7bbl brewery for a couple months. We're trying to improve our neipa (hazy IPA) and believe the next step is changing the yeast.
          The owners are quite cost conscious and don't want to drop $400 on yeast for a single batch. We are currently adding the first dry hop charge (15lbs) on day 2 of fermentation to get the biotransformation effect.

Does anyone have suggestions for harvesting the yeast from these types of beers with the obsured amount of hops that would be present in the slurry?

We currently take off a couple gallons into a modified 5gal corny keg for re-pitching
          If your already changing the beer by that much, why bother worrying just yet on the bio-transformation? Why not just harvest and then do the dry hop? Depending on the yeast you use, how much and what you get from the transformation is a gamble anyways.

Comment

Working...
          X