Biofine In A Unitank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine In A Unitank

I would like a little feedback from others who are using biofine without a BBT regarding their process and results. Here's what our experience is using unitanks:

We essentially use a yeast keg setup that we add biofine to, backflush with beer, and then push with CO2 through the racking arm of our unitank (10bbl). We'll backflush 3 times, opening and closing the racking arm valve when pushing back into the FV to let pressure build back up in the keg, and to also interrupt the cycle in hopes of mixing better. Sometimes we'll begin carbing immediately afterward for 30-45 min. Tanks are around 32°f.

Our results are typically the same every time - the beer clears up maybe 70%, but we're looking for like 95%. So we'll biofine a second time, same process, and we'll almost always get where we want to be. Sometimes close to perfectly brilliant even, but we'd like to avoid adding on the extra tank time, labor, product, and potential risks.

Interestingly, what we find is if we leave a glass of the beer out after the initial biofine, it will clear up to brilliant by the next day or two, but not in the unitank. So the amount of biofine is correct, and I'm assuming its getting mixed appropriately, but its just not dropping out as it should (?).

I know this is generally done inline to the BBT to ensure proper mixing, but we don't have one. I like to think we are getting a good mix doing it this way regardless. I'd rather not have the last 30% or so drop out in the keg or run the risk of putting out cloudy lager, so I really want to figure out if there are any other methods I'm missing here so I don't have to keep doing this twice.

Cheers
Working...
X