Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help inspect my kegs please / What are these little bits left over after cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help inspect my kegs please / What are these little bits left over after cleaning?

Can anyone help identify what I'm looking at inside my kegs here? In person they look like little tiny bits. They rinse out. I'm not smelling anything weird in these kegs, or even having kegs turn, we just saw this during a random inspection. Not sure if it's mineral or organic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	196194

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	196193

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	196192

The white line from first pic looks like beer line on empty keg.

It looks like this keg was sitting somewhere hot empty for extended period of time and something started to grow there.

Just a guess.

Comment

What does it feel like between thumb and finger? Soft and squidgy? Or gritty. I would suspect soft and squidgy as it appears to have rounded edges. What colour is it?

Protein or as mentioned before, perhaps bacterial or yeast growth, gritty - mineral scale.

What do you have in the bottom of the detergent and rinse tanks?
      dick

Comment

The "orange peel" texture I think I am seeing is more than likely beer stone, though not sure if that would flake off.

Comment

If it is beer stone, an acid wash should remove it. Take a sample and put it in some phos acid or even vinegar. If it fizzes, it's beer stone.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
            What does it feel like between thumb and finger? Soft and squidgy? Or gritty. I would suspect soft and squidgy as it appears to have rounded edges. What colour is it?

Protein or as mentioned before, perhaps bacterial or yeast growth, gritty - mineral scale.

What do you have in the bottom of the detergent and rinse tanks?
            They really just look like little bits to me. If I add a couple ounces of water I can rinse them out of the shell into a glass--where they look like incredibly fine white (or indistinct) particulate that settles out very quickly. I can't feel anything at all between my fingers.

I don't see anything abnormal at the bottom of my keg cleaner reservoirs.

Even though I don't really know what this is, I'm thinking we'll run all our kegs through an extra cycle with acid just to be careful.

Comment

And all the kegs I've opened smell perfectly like clean stainless steel...

Comment

Working...
              X