CO2 hose for brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 hose for brewery

I'm opening a 5 bbl brewery and wondering how to manage my CO2 lines. As a homebrewer I've been using and really like Evabarrier 6 mm ID tubing for my CO2 on my jockey box, but can I use it for my upcoming brewery? Or should I go with larger diameter vinyl tubing? I would appreciate any meaningful feedback.

Ken Mukai
    Mukai Craft Brewing
    Niyodogawa-cho, Japan

I also need to get some CO2 hose for my 5bbl brewery. What did you wind up doing? I really want my hose in a spring loaded hose reel so it will retract when I'm finished using it. I saw Jasper in one of his Brewery Life videos using hose that is on an overhead reel.
    How To Carbonate Beer, 10bbl Brite Tank with Carbonation Stone. Beer brewing techniques for craft commercial breweries. Watch a brewer give tips on carbonat...

Comment

Originally posted by AGB View Post
      I also need to get some CO2 hose for my 5bbl brewery. What did you wind up doing? I really want my hose in a spring loaded hose reel so it will retract when I'm finished using it. I saw Jasper in one of his Brewery Life videos using hose that is on an overhead reel.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utcSWCBMxZc&t=78s
      I bought the Evabarrier 6 mm tubing. We're about a month away from installation. After we open I'm sure I'll have some thoughts about this so if you're interested hit me up again after May 2020. Good luck to you.

Comment

My years as a diesel mechanic taught me to keep the hoses off the ground if possible. With that in mind, I have my CO2, O2, and electrical cord for my portable pump on reels. I didn't like the hose that came with the reels so I changed it out for reinforced vinyl. They work like a charm. Highly recommended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	191961

Cheers,
        --
        Don

Comment

I have a similar question, but not for the draft system. I'm looking for a hose for the CO2 line that goes from the source into my unitanks for carbonation.

I can get welding lines, but it bugs me that (a) they only come in red/green, as for welding and (b) I'm not sure if those are food-safe.

So my question is:
          What is a good source for CO2 line to go tank-to-5/8" thread on the carbonation stone?

Bonus points:
          Same question, O2 line (for oxygenating wort out of brewhouse).

Thanks!
          ~Ted

Comment

Welding hose is not food grade. I use 1/2" PU hose and push fittings for everything. And use air in lieu of oxygen.
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

For permanent installations, I use 1/2" HEPEX. It's PEX tubing meant for closed-system hydronic heating, so it includes an O2 barrier to prevent any chance of O2 osmosing into the CO2 line. It comes in various colors so you can color-code the lines and is food grade. It's good to 175 psi at normal temps, so keep main line pressures below that. For "drops" from point-of-use regulators, I use 1/4" ID polyethylene tubing. Parker PEFLEX is one brand. John Guest fitting (or equivalent) for connections. Be sure you have a good, ball-type, check valve at the connection to your stone, or you'll be replacing lines and rebuilding regulators a LOT!
              Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
              Terminal Gravity Brewing,
              Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
              X