Propane burner - street legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane burner - street legal?

So im planning on brewing with this big 100 gallon stockpot and custom welded stand.. but ive been doing some reading and it seems like this might be a problem for the inspectors? What do i need to do to make this thing street legal?

Bump. I now realize natural gas is safer. My brew space is in a warehouse with a large bay door. Do i need to worry about sprinklers or the like, since it's kind of like.. outdoors?

Comment

The concerns have to do with noxious gasses primarily. The fact your open air burner will fill a room with carbon monoxide is the issue. You will need to put the burner in a fire box most likely. You will need to have the combustion gasses vented appropriately. It is probably much cheaper to purchase a purpose built vessel over retro-fitting an open air burner.

Natural Gas is not "safer" that propane, it is simply lighter and can therefore disperse to atmosphere easier. Propane can pool in low lying areas and pose an explosion hazard. You should not be releasing either NG or Propane to the atmosphere and should be burning it instead, making them about equally "safe".

Comment

Originally posted by dendron8 View Post
        Bump. I now realize natural gas is safer. My brew space is in a warehouse with a large bay door. Do i need to worry about sprinklers or the like, since it's kind of like.. outdoors?
        Most fire sprinklers have a specific set temp, IE 100F, 150F, 225F, ..., all the way to 625F. They are color coded either on the glass bulb or paint on the sprinkler body. Hop up there and take a look at one to see. You can run your brewhouse and put a thermometer up near a sprinkler or use an infrared thermometer to see if it gets close to the max temp. Never seen anything less than a 150 in a warehouse type setting since it can easily get to over 100F on a hot day near the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X