Thread: Career Advice Question.

Career Advice Question.

Forgive me if this is under the wrong section ( first post from a long time lurker).

Background Info:
    My province has experienced a craft beer boom over the past 8 years. Now home to 50+ craft breweries and brew pubs of various sizes.

• 2 Regional Sized
    • 4-6 provincial sized with aspirations of becoming regional
    • 5 brewpubs
    • 30+ of between nano to sub 20bbl operations.

The bulk of of these are owner/brewer and or operate on a skeleton sized crew with many employees doing double duty ( packaging tech is also the taproom bartender, assistant brewer also delivers kegs etc.) and seem reluctant to hire those with previous brewery experience.

About Me:
    • Ive been in and around this industry for 4 years ( 1.5 as a paid package/ cellar tech who mostly made and filled boxes and 2.5 a part time volunteer brewers assistant and cellar person where I learned a lot but zero brew deck time.
    • Left previous job as I saw no path way off the packaging line and no forward career growth planning.
    • Lots of self study in brewing science and theory but no commercial brewing experience.
    • Lots of experience in cellar and packaging ( love cellar work but 40+ hours of filling boxes is mind numbing but still would help when needed.)
    • No formal brewing education. But hoped that with the right brewery position i could apply for Siebel Condensed or American Brewer's Guild Distance Ed. and learn as I get paid.
    • Struggling to find a place where I can learn and grow eventually into a professional brewer.

Now here is the question:
    What should be my next step forward? Test new waters in a different market? Attend Brew School ( Siebel or others) ?
    Combination of the two?

Thanks for reading.
    R

Go for it

I would suggest you to find a brewery were you can become a professional, however, don't know if you would like to relocate to any mid size brewery preferably, in which you can be able to learn several different brewing tasks as for example; dry hopping, quality controls at the brewhouse and cellar, etc..

At the moment, Devils Backbone Brewing Company in Lexington is hiring brewers, you may contact them.

As well, I definitely recommend you attend any brewing school to further your brewing knowledge.

Cheers.

Last edited by beerme; 10-25-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Leave your location if you need to. There are lots of opportunities available if you are willing to relocate. Brewing School is great for those who can afford it (both in time and money). It is not the only way forward.

Choose your interest path (wort production, lab, cellar, packaging) and take a higher level role doing that. If you apply and pursue you will get it. Buy books and read them. Read what you see on the internet and challenge it with your books and experience. Volunteer your available time in those fields. Experiment. Attend conferences and seminars. Network and discuss with colleagues. Get Better.

Realistically no one is going to pay for your education while you work. Very few. They will expect you to educate and advance your own skills on your own time & dime. They need you to produce full time, no time for future planning or development. It may sound harsh, but the real world often is.

Move to where the work is.

Send lots of resumes out looking for work. Realize there are 10-20 people applying for same position.
    Take up a trade 1st. Welding, PLC, Electrical. These skills are what the larger and expanding breweries are looking for. But when you are on the bottling line take some time to talk to the other departments, they might have a lead.
    Save some funds then put yourself into a brewing class.
    Plus if you become good at sanitary SS welding you can
    Offer your services to other local breweries.
    I need 4 welding jobs done soon but everyone local is booked for November.
    Good luck in your search
    Lance