betaglucanase enzymes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betaglucanase enzymes?

local CMG warehouse has two kinds of betaglucanase- bioglucanase TX and GB. not really seeing what the difference is here on them. the other option is visco buster from white labs. anybody got some info to share? experience? this is gonna be for a 30% rye in a non heated mash tun so no step mashing or other tricks available to use other than rice hulls.

Basically all three are different concoctions of enzymes meant to do very similar things. They are all intended to thin the mash and allow improved lautering. They are all derived from the replication of the same organism base (Thricoderma Reesei). It has high cellulolytic enzyme content. Different combinations of enzymes are removed and re-distributed in different quantities for each product. I believe Visco gives a bit more detailed info (or maybe it was DSM directly) on their product, but most are pretty hush-hush. This stuff is usually designed for medical purposes and we are a secondary market.

You can thank the degradation of US Army soldier canvas during WWII for this crazy application of this fungus. - TMYK

Comment

BTW - I have used the Visco and the TX, but not the GB.

I brewed a 40% American wheat the other week with no hulls, and no enzymes. A full 120 min runoff, but great efficiency and not a big deal overall. We do have a good quality wedge wire screen and it was only a 5% beer. Seems like TX may have had a slight effect on head retention in the past batches, but I can't fully isolate that as the issue we were seeing. I would suggest using in the middle of the recommended dosage range if your giving it a go. Be curious to hear your experience.

Comment

I've routinely done 30% rye mashes in a single infusion tun, never used artificial enzymes for that, just rice hulls and a slow runoff.
        You could try a two step by mashing in thick and raising with an addition of boiling water. Having under-let and a good mash mixer help allot then.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

We actually thought about adding the rye and a bag of hulls and just covering them with enough water so we can do a betaglucan rest, then adding the base malt and more liquor to make a 150ish mash. Something about the math didnt add up though. Ill see about running those numbers again.

But as this is our first rye brew on new system im thinking i might just do enzymes as a safety option. After snooping on a distillation forum, it seems they recommend enzymes with hemicellulose activity for xylans and something else. So just gonna order some from white labs as their sheet specifically calls out these items. For 15bbl batch i think its only 50ml so a liter is cheap and should last a long time.

We also need to work on dialing in mill settings as we’ve only got 4 brews in so far, so figure we might as well err on the side of caution.

Comment

Id recommend you crush the rye first as it is usually much smaller kernel size. You'll need a fairly tight gap. Then you can then open up the gap for the barley afterward to prevent over-crushing the barley, and leaving it properly gapped for the next brew. If you over-crush the barley, it will have more impact on lautering than 30% rye, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
            X