Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline RO/Activated Carbon Filter Recommendations

Hi All,

We are looking at diversifying our brand to include some hard seltzer/malt beverage products. We have done a couple of test batches now and are continuing to have issues with residual fermentation flavors coming through. We are exploring options for filtering these base products before flavoring but are having a tough time finding anything that will meet our needs. We would be filtering anywhere from 30-120 bbl in a day so we are looking at needing 8+ gal/min flow rates. I was wondering if anyone is using anything they would recommend or knows of a company that would be able to help us out.

Conversely, if anyone reading this has a process that has resulted in clean fermentations (like really really clean) and they would like to share that would be awesome too.

Thanks

Originally posted by Hellbrewer2 View Post
    Hi All,

We are looking at diversifying our brand to include some hard seltzer/malt beverage products. We have done a couple of test batches now and are continuing to have issues with residual fermentation flavors coming through. We are exploring options for filtering these base products before flavoring but are having a tough time finding anything that will meet our needs. We would be filtering anywhere from 30-120 bbl in a day so we are looking at needing 8+ gal/min flow rates. I was wondering if anyone is using anything they would recommend or knows of a company that would be able to help us out.

Conversely, if anyone reading this has a process that has resulted in clean fermentations (like really really clean) and they would like to share that would be awesome too.

Thanks
    The cleanest malt fermentation happened when we used Danstar Nottingham at 14C (yes, they can do it). No esters at all, excellent flocculation, clean and fast ferment. Too boring for a beer, but maybe that's what y'r looking for.

Comment

At those flow rates, its likely that you'll be needing a fairly large carbon filter to produce the necessary residence time in the filter to remove the offending compounds. Of course, that assumes that the offending compounds can be adsorbed to the carbon. I suggest that you perform bench testing of the applicability of carbon filtration by purchasing a residential sized carbon unit and pushing the product through the filter at a slow rate (probably less than a gal/min) and see if it produces a desirable result. The carbon unit can be somewhat disinfected by filling it with a metabisulfite solution and keeping it in there for at least a half hour. I'm not sure that this would be completely effective to render the final product 'biologically-stable' for packaging, so consider that. That may not be a concern if the product will be pasteurized downstream.
      WaterEng
      Engineering Consultant

Comment

Yep. I agree. Best to start with bench testing with refillable axial flow cartridges.
        https://www.buckeyehydro.com/refilla...idge-20-x-4-5/
        Water Treatment Systems & Supplies www.BuckeyeHydro.com
        Info@buckeyehydro.com 513-312-2343

Comment

Working...
        X