Pipelines for CO2 distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipelines for CO2 distribution

I am looking to remove CO2 tank to new place for easier replacement.
    There are 3x10bbl + 2x20bbl in future expansion and 10 head bottle filler to feed. Total distance is 40ft for FVs/BBTs and 60ft for filler.

I installed 0,35" ID PU lines, but there is flow drop (not huge but noticeable) and I am concerned it could make trouble with bottle filler as well with purging tanks.

What diameter and what material would you suggest? I am thinking to use 1/2"ID PPR or PEX tubing, will that be sufficient?
    Also, what type of flexible hose you use from second. regulator to FVs/BBT (I"l place quick connects on this one)?

Originally posted by dark_s View Post
    There are 3x10bbl + 2x20bbl in future expansion and 10 head bottle filler to feed. Total distance is 40ft for FVs/BBTs and 60ft for filler.

I installed 0,35" ID PU lines, but there is flow drop (not huge but noticeable) and I am concerned it could make trouble with bottle filler as well with purging tanks.

What diameter and what material would you suggest? I am thinking to use 1/2"ID PPR or PEX tubing, will that be sufficient?
    Also, what type of flexible hose you use from second. regulator to FVs/BBT (I"l place quick connects on this one)?
    I moved our air compressor to an outside building and have run the main line with using Valpar 15mm...the stuff used for the recirc line inside a python and I'm able to get enough air to keg washer and bottler, I would suspect you could do the same for CO2. We just use 3/8 Valpar line for our CO2 and have John Guest fittings on everything...
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

The material most people use in America is PEX-AL-PEX. Its fairly cheap, and its bend-and-stay so its very easy to use. I would recommend using 3/4 for your use, shouldn't have any pressure drop. Also you can be sure you have a barrier, with an aluminum layer in between the pex layers. Lots of plastics aren't a very good oxygen barrier and will let in small amounts of oxygen over time.

Comment

Dark,
        Something to keep in mind when getting into larger ID tubing and piping is materials like PEX are designed for liquid. The pressure ratings for liquid and gas are different, and all pressure ratings change with temperature as well. Make sure you get a gas rating for piping you are using for gas. Yes if we are putting 12 psi thru a 150 psi rated pipe you are "probably" fine. But who knows, maybe the next guy turns the pressure up higher.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

The other think to realize too, is flow is pressure sensitive. The smaller the pipe the more pressure drop to get the needed flow, or the less flow to get the needed pressure. Easiest way to make sure that whatever line type and size you have is to run a higher pressure than you need and have regulators at the point of use. We have 1/2" pex lines with braided vinyl whips to get to tanks. The pex lines are at 90 psi, It gets regulated down to the service pressure much closer to the point of use so that we can feed a bunch of use at one time without pressure drop.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind replies.
            At the end I decided to stay with polyurethane pipe that I already installed. PEX-AL-PEX is solid solution, but IMO amount of O2 that could pass trough PU pipe is too small to cause significant issue.

I'll put secondary regulator to solve flow issue and increase pressure between primary and secondary reg.
            As for filler, increasing main pressure should then secure suffice CO2 flow and I'll reduce pressure on fillers regulator.
            We'll see will this work at the end.

And now about pipe from secondary regulator to tanks..
            I like to put quick connects wherever I can, and with one way valves they should enable simple and quick connections without the risk of beer flow into CO2 pipe.
            Anyone already have this kind of setup for tank/keg purging?
            Experiences, opinions?

Comment

Thank you all for your kind replies.
              I like to put quick connects wherever I can, and with one way valves they should enable simple and quick connections without the risk of beer flow into CO2 pipe.
              ?
              McMaster Carr has SS push to connect M/F Quicks with auto-shutoff and check valves. DO they operate in EU ??
              Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
              tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
              "Your results may vary"

Comment

They don't operate in EU but I have local supplier for pneumatic fittings.

I am thinking to put quick connects on secondary regulator, braided hoses and tank inlets, and also on keg filler head, with check valves.
                This way hose could be easily disconnected and check valves should prevent beer flowing into CO2 hoses.

Comment

Working...
                X